Sunday, May 24, 2015

Why Should you start a blog?

IF you have a point of view (and most people do) often you want other people to understand your point of view because you might feel if others shared your point of view the world might be a better place.

This is the best reason for starting a blog.

You also might feel that if others shared your point of view that less people would suffer from ignorance.

This is another good reason to start a blog.

Though this is not true today I learned a very hard lesson when I traveled with my family through India.

What I learned in 1985 and 1986 was that most people there did not have any education at all. One day my then 14 year old stepson said to me, "You know, Dad, these people think we are gold plated E.Ts from another planet so different are they from us in understanding." They didn't have TVs. They couldn't read. Often they had no rights at all because they were in the wrong caste in the caste system there. Often the only thing they could do was to live on the streets and walk up to us saying "Baksheesh!" which means "Please share with us so we don't starve to death!"

Ever since those months I never forgot the suffering I witnessed there at that time. Ever since then I realize what even being born in a place with compulsory education means to one's whole lifetime. I met people who were barefoot, who spoke English but who had never been to school a day in their lives and I understood how privileged we are here in the U.S. I met others who said some mentor from the U.S. had paid for their education so when they grew up they could sell tickets on a bus like they were doing and how grateful they were not to die alone on the streets with no education at all.

So, blogging (because you have an education) and sharing your experience and wisdom online likely could mean life or death when your wisdom born of experience is read to someone who has never been to school a day in their life somewhere here on earth.

No comments: