Monday, June 4, 2018

Grace of Monaco: on Netflix

Grace Kelly married Prince Rainier of Monaco and became Princess Grace wife of Prince Rainier of Monaco. This is her story of her and her two children and it takes a turn I never heard of growing up because I guess I was just too young to understand what was happening in that part of the world.

But here, you see the story unfold and how her frustrations and her Grace helped save the country of Monaco during the Crisis Prince Rainier and she endured. They talk about 1962. In 1962 I was 14 and in Junior High but mostly I was a surfer in Los Angeles when I could get to the beach. IN 1964 I bought my 1956 Ford Stationwagon to put my 10 foot 4 inch surfboard in. Now they just call them the "Big Guns" or "Long boards".

So, I was clueless of what was going on in Monaco then. Then in 2009 when I was 61 I went to Monaco in person with my wife and two daughters. We had stayed in Paris and gone to Versailles and seen "The Moulin Rouge" show and had ridden the High Speed Train to Nice and stayed in the Hotel Roosevelt there and had rented a Mercedes and had driven to Monaco. This likely was the first time I could really first hand understand the  incredible wealth in this area, especially the hundreds of private jets at Nice Airport and the multi-million dollar yachts much bigger than most big homes moored there in Monaco harbor. There were Rolls Royce Dealerships, And Lamborghini dealerships and Bentley Dealerships with signs like "Don't loiter and look in the windows". This is an incredibly rich sort of place, likely in some ways the richest place I have ever seen in some ways.

So, even though there are likely more millionaires in California than anywhere else on earth, they don't show off their wealth like people do in Monaco with fancy yachts and private jets. And the Cote D'Azure (literally the French Riviera (Azure blue Sea) is there too.


No comments: