Tuesday, June 11, 2019

The record rainfall of May and the heat of the last few days in California

Are something I likely wouldn't have believed unless I saw for myself. Normally, for example, I could't walk into the forests where I live on the coast of Northern California and see wildflowers blooming on June 10th like I did yesterday with my German Shepard Puppy. Normally, I wouldn't have seen rainfall that exceeds any record known in California for rain in May this year either. we wouldn't see floods in Arkansas that are above anything in the recorded history of Arkansas or many other places that are still flooding along the Mississippi River especially. When I was even in Portland across from where I was staying many of the trails were flooded last week and luckily there were work arounds where ground was high enough other places where the trails were submerged. Portland was as green as I ever had seen it by the way in the spring or early summer. So, rain and flooding many places are still going on across the country.

The heat of the last few days also sort of goes beyond anything I have seen in California too for June. I got on the plane in Portland and it was cloudy and about 60 degrees or so. I got off the plane in San Jose and it was about 90 and it took my breath away because I wasn't prepared for this much temperature change. But, luckily San Jose and the Coast are drier than Portland so it was easier to take the very warm weather. Even where I live on the coast it got about 95 degrees today which NEVER HAPPENS! in June.

So, whatever is happening it's not normal for the Northern California coast where the warmest temperature you are ever going to see in June is likely 75 or 80 because the heat inland normally brings in the fog (high and low) off the ocean and keeps the daytime highs this time of year between 60 and 75 mostly.

So, not in any NORMAL universe would we have 95 degrees in June in any year likely since the 1980s or 1990s and possibly not even then.

No comments: