Saturday, January 25, 2020

What was life in the 20th Century like?

I can answer this somewhat for younger people born since about 1998 or 1999. IN 1998 I was 50 years old and got a heart virus then and was forced to retire.

But, this also means I was born in 1948, 3 years after World War II. So, I can reasonably tell you what life was like when my memories began in 1950 or before in Seattle Washington.

First of all, there were no seatbelts or seatbelt laws so injuries for children while driving were (all the time almost). So, you might be in the back seat playing when you would suddenly be thrown against the front seats in a sudden stop or even thrown from the back seat into the windshield. Or you could be thrown against your brothers or sisters and be injured. I remember being 2 and riding behind my father in his 1941 Buick that was his brothers before he didn't come back from World war II as a pilot and how when he took turns because I was standing while holding onto his drivers seat I would sometimes either be thrown against the left window winders of the back seat (there were no electric windows then that I ever saw and no air conditioners for cars then either (unless maybe if you were really really rich and had a Cadillac or something better than that).

SO, I NEVER EVEN SAW A CAR AIR CONDITIONER UNTIL THE LATE 1950S MYSELF WHEN I WOULD HAVE BEEN MAYBE 8 OR 10 YEARS OLD.

But, I did see electric windows on at least one or more cars even if it was in a dealership by the early 1950s. Also, my Dad bought a new 1956 Century Buick when I was 8 in 1956 so I saw a lot of things at the dealership. This is exactly the coloration of the car my Dad bought in 1956. My father prayed for this car for about 6 months by the way. But, he wanted a Blue one but the one in the advertisement he put up to visualize was one exactly like this. So, be careful what you visualize while praying because you might get exactly what you are visualizing!

No comments: