Friday, January 1, 2021

Safe back on the Coast near San Francisco

 I had a problem with my right rear tire in that it had a slow leak since Monday. So, the day before New Years Eve I went to the tire place in Mt. Shasta where I had replaced my Michelin tires a couple of years ago now but it turned out the problem was a small hole in the sidewall and they couldn't fix it. It likely might be something that was on the freeway that I might have run over driving north to shasta. So, first on Monday I went to Valero there which has a tire inflator. Also, I have learned to always travel in the back country with a 12 volt Air pump and a hydraulic jack for emergencies so I travel with both. I put the small 12 volt air compressor and 12 ton hydraulic jack in a large plastic container with a sealable lid so if moisture as in Rain seeps into the sides of the fold top cover to the bed of the truck it stays dry always. I also always travel with a large plastic tarp to help keep things dry if water in heavy rains seeps slowly into the sides of the fold top bed of the truck too.

So, because I would have had to special order the tire in mt. Shasta since they don't carry Michelins in stock there I realized I would have to get back to the coast where my tire dealer carries Michelin all weather mud snows in stock always that will fit my large Tundra 4 wheel drive Truck.

But, when they put the spare on I realized that the spare tire and wheel had been weathering for around 10 years under the truck where the spare is stored and there were little spots of rust on the wheel even though the tire was okay. The other thing is that I didn't want to put the spare on the back but I guess legally you can no longer put a spare tire on the two front positions as a tire. They can only be put on the back of the vehicle. But, since my spare is likely a different circumference slightly than the left rear tire because of weathering and wear I was a little worried about the rear end differential. Then when I got home to the coast I found I had a spray bottle of white Rustoleum that I sprayed carefully on the wheel of the spare on the truck to reduce further rusting of the wheel.

So, anyway we made it home about 400 miles to where I live on the coast near San Francisco, California where the weather is much warmer than Mt. Shasta obviously. 

We snow shoed and my son in law skied across Castle Lake before we headed south which was frozen enough to do this. However, I like only walking on the ice when I know the depth is less than 4 feet in case the ice gives away so I usually walk around the edges of the lake where I know it's shallow.

Some of these are Google images of when Castle Lake is frozen in the Winter:

No comments: