Sunday, July 25, 2021

Safe in Santa Barbara

 My son from Oregon and his family car and my wife and I in one of our vehicles drove south today from the SF Bay area to Santa Barbara. Because it has often been 59 degrees in the afternoons lately I found even 72 degrees pretty hot and changed into Bermuda shorts to get used to the change in Climate of around 5 to 10 degrees warmer than I'm used to where I live nearer to San Francisco. 

The drive south was nice once we moved inland enough to get some sun for a change even though for some reason I was surprised at how hazy it was today. However, I should have realized with more than 78 fires or more now in Oregon, Washington and California that there would be some haze in the air even though the majority of the prevailing winds are heading eastward to the point where  often the sun is blotted out now by smoke even in New York City from the fires in Oregon, California and Washington and other states now.

The. hottest it got coming down 101 was likely near San Ardo where my son reported about 100 degrees when the stopped at a rest stop there nearby that area I believe. And then in Paso Robles and Atascadero it was in the 80s at about 86 degrees by then. By the time you go down that long slope into Santa Barbara it was about 78 and then along the coast it got down to 63 degrees for awhile after you get passed the North bound tunnel through a small mountain just after the northbound rest stop. It was really beautiful heading south from there along the ocean. 

We were grateful to get here in Santa Barbara because packing takes a lot more out of you in your 70s than it did before and then driving takes more too. So, we made it safely to Santa Barbara for sunset so that's nice too! So, we can watch the sunset from the view from the house there which is nice.

No comments: