Sunday, August 1, 2021

A SUNNY DAY WHERE I LIVE, FINALLY!

 It's beautiful here today sort of like Hawaii in the fall, winter or springtime there. I used to live in Hawaii in Hilo in 1974 and then on Maui in Hana and Paia in 1989 and 1990. So, I have been on Hawaii on Maui  living there year around. When I first moved to Hilo, Hawaii in 1974 with my new wife and baby It was so hot in August that I thought I would pass out from the combination of humidity and heat. Then friends from Alaska (husband, wife and baby arrived and since I had Leased a car for 3 months time we all used my car to travel and visit beautiful spots on the big island of Hawaii. We also visited the Queen's Bath before it was covered over by lava which was an amazing place to swim in clean fresh water from the sky too. It was a huge broken lava area bigger than most swimming pools here in the U.S. with a river flowing through it.

But, what is happening where I live on the northern California Coast near San Francisco is that when we do get a sunny day now it reminds me a lot of Hawaii living here now along the coast. It's incredibly beautiful and warm and the air feels a lot like the Hawaiian islands in the fall, winter or spring. It's presently 69 degrees here supposedly going to 70 today but I think it is going to get much warmer than that if the sun keeps out like it is here on the coast.

In 1974 when we first moved to Hawaii people mostly didn't have air conditioners yet there unless you were staying in a hotel room for tourists then. So, mostly if you wanted to cool down then you either got in a cold shower or went to the beach to swim, surf or snorkel or scuba dive then. Hilo is a rain forest too by the way so it rains every day there some usually for at least 10 minutes to 1/2 an hour like it usually does in rain forests. It's also like this all over the Hawaiian islands to a greater or lesser degree too.

When I went to the Kona coast of the big island of Hawaii to snorkel in January of 2015 the ocean  water was 85 degrees Fahrenheit while it snowed in Mt. Shasta where the people I was traveling with lived. So, the contrasts in the winter time between Kona coast and snowy places in the U.S. are unbelievable until you witness them first hand.

They said this is a photo of one of the queen's baths still in existence on the big island of Hawaii. The one I went to I think is covered by lava now but this might still be the original one covered with lava too where people can go through a hole and still swim there? I don't know for sure. You can click on this photo and it should enlarge.

No comments: