Saturday, September 25, 2021

From my personal point of view the 1950s and 1960s were much worse than dealing with Covid now

At least now you don't have people murdering Black men and Gay men of all races every Friday and Saturday night with baseball bats. This was still happening every Friday and Saturday night even when I was in High School in 1964 in Los Angeles. However, it isn't happening now at the rate it was then.

Also, people wear seat belts now so when cars strike each other people aren't flung through the front window or side windows hundreds of feet and hitting telephone poles and other cars and people on the street as well. So, many less people die now we have seat belts in car and truck accidents in the U.S. too.

So, in some ways Covid is taking the lives that would have been lost in the 1950s and 1960s just through normal accidents like car accidents and others. So, viewed in this way people are likely now dying at a similar rate that they were in the 1950s and 1960s worldwide then. 

What I'm saying is that blood and death were everywhere in the 1950s and you almost couldn't avoid seeing people smashed up and dead without motorcycle helmets with girls cradling their boyfriends dead bodies in their arms while hysterical and things like this. I saw all these things as a child in Los Angeles.

Also, I remember being 8 or 9 years old heading out the Ventura Freeway towards Malibu on a weekend and seeing a station wagon load of about 7 to 9 people screaming who were air born and their station wagon flew over the top of our  car and I remember asking my father if we were going to go back and help them? And my father said, "There's too much traffic and we would be killed if we stopped." Looking back now he didn't tell me that those people were all going to die as well as other cars behind us were going to die too. Luckily we were spared but he knew about 20 people or more were likely going to die and he didn't want to traumatize an 8 or 9 year old with this information.

I was likely 15 or 16 and when I thought back on all this I finally understood and was horrified by it!

But, by then I was grown up enough to handle it.

 It's nice to have a Dad to protect you from really traumatic things in your life so you can grow up a whole person without serious PTSD from too many bad events.


No comments: