Wednesday, September 29, 2021

Nine Perfect Strangers series on Hulu

 It reminds me a little of when I was 29 years old and in between marriages and I had finished building a home for my French Architect Friend in Mt. Shasta. My parents had come by with their Winnebago Motor home, a 32 foot thing that they were traveling around in and since I was a single father my son was about 4 or 5 years old and wanted to spend some time with his grandparents in San Diego where they lived then.

So, I was driving my toyota longbed Truck with a Six Pack Cabover Camper on it home to San Diego after working most of the summer in Mt. Shasta on my friend's new home. I stopped off for a lark because Bart (Bay Area Rapid Transit) then and it was a light rail that also went like a subway under the San Francisco Bay between Berkeley and Oakland and San Francisco. So, I thought I would travel under the bay to see how this all worked. While I was waiting for the Bart ride to San Francisco a pretty girl and her friend walked up to me and sort of picked me up. The tall blonde girl wanted me to hear her play in a band that evening. So, I said I would meet her there and hear her band in Berkeley after I had ridden over to San Francisco and Back on the BART Light Rail system.

So, I did. Well. I didn't know then that she was a Moonie and wanted to marry me and make me work for the Moonies since I was a tall, handsome intelligent man she was interested in. I couldn't have understood any of this at the time because she said the name of her band was Creative Community Project. Then I went to this large venue and at another table was Eldridge Cleaver of the Black Panthers. I was pretty impressed that he was there too. After I heard her play she came and sat at my table and tried to convince me to go on a bus with all of them to Boonesville for the weekend. To make a long story short I went on the bus with them to Boonesville and this was a very strange experience in a lot of ways like "Nine Perfect Strangers". However, I had already been raised in a religious cult and so I wanted no part of any other religious cult really because I had already been a part of one growing up and then a part of another one from my ages 25 to 28. So, I was done with cults even before I went to Boonesville. But, they didn't tell me it was a cult or anything else useful.

Then I got there and realized this was a cult even if they still didn't tell me it was one. Then they wanted me to program people to join this cult and I said "No!" and then they got angry at me. I still said, "NO!" and I said had to get back to my son because I was a single father. They yelled at me a lot but I'm 6 foot 5 inches tall and people didn't want to have to fight me to make me stay with them so they eventually let me go.

Nine Perfect Strangers reminds me of my experiences that weekend. The other thing you need to know about me is not only was I in two cults (one growing up) and then another one for 2 or 3 years in my 20s before I realized organized religion wasn't going to work for me in this lifetime because I'm a free thinker and very independent in all my decisions and actions. I'm not someone who is going to follow a lot of arbitrary rules for no reason.

I'm not the kind of person that you could say "Jump!" and I would not say: "How High?". I would be more apt to say: "Go F--- yourself!" instead.

If something doesn't make sense to me I'm not going to do it period.

However, the other thing you need to know is I studied to be a psychologist for several years too. So, in addition to being in two cults most of my life until I was 28 I also had studied to be a psychologist. So, I fully understand what brainwashing is and even how to brainwash people and that is why I want no part of people brainwashing me or anyone else.

However, having said that, I'm finding "Nine Perfect Strangers" very entertaining even if it gets sort of creepy sometimes.

However, Nicole Kidman's acting is superb and so is Melissa McCarthy's acting so far too.

The Russian point of view played by Nicole Kidman is interesting too. She is supposed to be from Russia.

I'm thinking this was filmed in Hawaii likely too. Not sure if I'm right about this but it sure looks like it from things like Banyan Trees you don't see a lot of places unless you are in India or something.

No comments: