Tuesday, September 28, 2021

The computer languages I know the most about

 In college starting in 1966 I learned to program computers in COBOL (which is a business language) and Fortran (which is sort of a math based or scientific computer language. I always liked Fortran a lot because I had also always liked Algebra and Fortran reminded me a lot of Algebra because you have to think in similar ways to Algebra to solve problems in programming in Fortran.

Next, around 1978 I taught myself and my children the Basic Language mostly because I had bought for around 800 dollars a TRS-80 home computer from Radio Shack. Then I taught my older children how to program games for themselves and how to design games so they could play on this computer.

The next Language I learned was HTML in 1995 by copying a yahoo page and playing with the HTML to see what it did in actuality.

Also, Learning MS-DOS  or (Microsoft Disc Operating system) I found to be a lot like learning to program a computer language too. So, by the time they created Windows 95 which more closely resembles operating systems by Microsoft today it was easy compared to learning MS-DOS where you had to be somewhat techie to begin with to master MS-DOS operating system.

No comments: