Skin cancer. Light micrograph of a section through a basal cell carcinoma (rodent ulcer)  a skin cancer. Magnification: x80 when printed at 10 centimetres wide. Science Photo Library - STEVE GSCHMEISSNER/Brand X/Getty Images

Editor’s Note: Susannah Hills is a pediatric airway surgeon and assistant professor and vice chair of the Department of otolaryngology-head and neck surgery at the Columbia University Medical Center. The opinions expressed in this commentary are her own. View more opinion at CNN. 

CNN  — 

As a practicing physician, my life revolves around caring for my patients, helping them stay healthy, educating them about diseases and picking up on the signs of health concerns that need to be addressed. A few weeks ago, however, it became painfully obvious that I had missed the signs of my own major health issue.

Dr. Susannah Hills

To my surprise, I was diagnosed with skin cancer on my scalp. The diagnosis of basal cell cancer, and the fact that I ignored it for so long, have really made me pause to reflect on my own health habits and some common misconceptions about skin cancer.

For over a year, I thought I had an irregular patch of skin behind my left ear.  It was covered by my hair, so it was easy to ignore. I watched this skin peel and scab.  I thought it was eczema, which I have had for many years, put hydrocortisone didn’t help.  I finally went to the dermatologist, much later than I should have considering my medical background, and I had a biopsy.  Basal cell cancer.  Another was found on my neck right after that.