Thursday, October 8, 2026

Hatchet Cover?

I moved two hatchets over to my truck as we had had them in our All Wheel Drive Car. Then I asked my wife if she still wanted a hatchet in her car for emergencies. I said I could go out to Ace Hardware and buy one. But, like many of your wives she wanted to go out to Amazon Prime and have one shipped to us for free instead so she could get exactly what she wanted.

When It arrived today it had a different kind of Cover than I'm used to but it had the leather circles handle that was common in the 1950s when I grew up. So, I knew this thing was built to last. So, I asked A friend visiting what he thought about the hatchet cover. And he showed me why it was designed this way.

I was surprised because it is of an innovative design. In other words it is built in such a way that you don't have to totally take the cover off the hatchet completely which I thought at first was a flaw in the design until I thought about it more. 

The reasoning: It is built this way because how many times have you lost the cover to your hatchet blade and then it bounced around in your truck or car in a compartment somewhere and did some damage to the compartment when you stopped fast?

So, this eliminates this problem because you can never completely remove the blade cover from the hatchet if you want to.

and in an emergency starting a fire when it's cold or snowy out can be life or death here in the U.S. or anywhere in the world that it can snow or get so muddy you can't drive through it with your vehicle.

In these cases having a Bic lighter (instead of matches) in your glove box and a hatchet in a compartment of your car or truck (so it doesn't fly through the air and get you when you stop fast or are in an fender bender can be a life or death thing. Because staying warm when you are stuck out in the weather somewhere can be a life or death situation.

I can remember in the early 1980s when all I owned was a 1976 VW Rabbit because we had sold my wife's 1971 VW Camper Van for building material to finish our house we were building on 2 1/2 acres in the Forests of MT. Shasta with a perfect view of the mountain and a spring on the land.

But, it was this day about 20 degrees out with the wind blowing 20 to 30 constant with 40 mile per hour gusts and I was afraid because with a broken fan belt I might not be able to get to town with our kids who were then 5 to 10 years old the 3 of them then. Then as I was worried how I was going to save the lives of my children that day a guy with Alaska License plates showed up and said: "What's the problem?" I told him that our fan belt had broken and it was serious because I realized I probably couldn't make it to the nearest gas station 10 miles away. He said, "Oh. I think I have one that size behind my front seat in my truck. "  He even had an Alaskan Jack on his Rig for serious snow problems. IT turned out the fan belt he put on because he had tools for this fit perfectly. I said, "How much do I owe you for saving my kids lives?" He said, "I'm from Alaska where we all help each other to survive there. Otherwise we wouldn't. So, just help the next person that needs help so you pass this on!"

So, that's what I did by helping all the other people in trouble for a long time after that on the side of the road in bad weather.

But, these thoughts all started with receiving this hatchet in the mail with a lot of other stuff my wife ordered through the mail too today and seeing that a hatchet Cover designed like this won't be lost if you know how to use it properly and don't fully detach it from your hatchet while using it to stay alive and to build a fire when you are stuck somewhere in the snows or mud on a road alone somewhere. 

This is what my wife bought with the leather circles handle for her car to store in a rear compartment for safety. She probably got the top one that says "Ace hardware" on the Add. However, you might already have an emergency hatchet to stay alive in the snow or mud when it gets bad out there for emergencies in a rear storage compartment or trunk of your car or pickup truck. The cover she got looks like the one from Lowes though which is black and likely made of Canvas and a button and rivets. (that you could theoretically not completely remove so there is less chance of losing the cover if you are careful and safe with a hatchet to begin with. I was trained to use a hatchet from about age 6 by my father in the 1960s. But, if you don't know what you are doing with one cutting wood it can bounce off wood in various ways and chop off a finger or you can cut your let easily too. So, be sure you know how to use one safely without hurting yourself to begin with. I was trained to use hatchets and axes by 6 to 8 years old and I was given my first rifle a .22 Remington Pump action rifle at age 8 in 1956. But, my father and his father were raised out in the country so cutting wood was something he had done for his Dad and Mom with his brothers and sisters to keep warm since the 1920s when he was little too. IT was how you stayed warm mostly out in the country then with a fireplace or wood stove of one kind or another. Eventually, in 1980 I bought an antique Cook Stove for making Pies and cakes and Cassaroles at our house out in the woods on Mt. Shasta too in addition to a  cast iron wood stove just to keep the place with 7 feet of snow outside then too.

Pacific Grove
Estwing Sportsman's Silver Axe 1 in. H X 14 in. W X 13.5 in. L 1 pk
$46.99
Ace Hardware
Estwing Leather Grip Sportsman's Axe 2-3/4" cutting edge / 12.5" total length - E14A
$40
ASC Scientific
30-day returns
EstWing E24A 14" Sportsman's Axe with Leather Grip
$36.19
ToolUp.com
Estwing Hatchet: 17 in Overall Lg, 3 1/2 in Cutting Edge Lg, 35 oz Head Wt, Steel, Steel, Polished Model: E3-R
$61.87
Grainger Industrial Supply
By 10/13
Estwing Sportsman's Hatchet
$54.50
Lee Valley Tools
Professional 12.01-Inch Backyard Axe, Carbon Steel Axe with Wooden Handle, Gardening supplies and equipment, Survival gear, Camp axe, Hand
$7.08
Temu
Free 90-day returns
Estwing Camper's Axe E44A
$48
ASC Scientific
30-day returns
Estwing 1.3-lb Forged steel Camp axe with 9.5-in Steel Handle Axe Leather | E24A
$46.97
Lowe's
Estwing Sportman's Axe Leather
$49.50
Bayou Field & Outdoors
Estwing Sportsman's Axe with Sheath - 4"
$49.99
Bass Pro Shops
Estwing 16Inch Camper's Axe, Vinyl Grip, Model E44A
$52.99
Northern Tool
Estwing 14" Leather-handled Sportsman's Axe Belt Sheath, Personalized Handmade Axe Cover
$20
Etsy
Full Metal Jacket Axe, - Rill Simple Tools | Official Shop
$200
Bespoke Post
Estwing Camper's Axes, 4 in Cut, Steel Handle, 16 in Long (1 EA / EA)
$71.77
Factory Supply Outlet
Free by 10/17
Estwing 14-inch Special Edition Sportsman’s Axe E24ASEA
$50
ASC Scientific
30-day returns
Estwing Sportsman's Axe with Sheath - 4?
$49.99
Cabela's
Estwing Hatchet: 13 in Overall Lg, 3 3/4 in Cutting Edge Lg, 33 oz Head Wt, Steel, Steel, Polished Model: E3-2H
$57.40
Grainger Industrial Supply
By 10/13
Estwing Blue Axe 1.38 in. H X 26 in. W X 26 in. L 1 pk
$51.99
Ace Hardware
Estwing Sportsman's Axe
$43.99
MidwayUSA
Vintage Estwing Hatchet W/ Stacked Leather Handle Usa Made Camp Axe --
$19.95
eBay
Used
Estwing 2.87-lb Forged steel Camp axe with 14.75-in Steel Handle Axe | E44A
$46.97
Lowe's
Pacific Grove
Estwing Blue Axe 1.5 in. H X 14 in. W X 14 in. L 1 pk
$39.99
Ace Hardware
Estwing 14" Camper's Axe with Tent Stake Puller Blue - E6-25A
$36
ASC Scientific
30-day returns
Estwing Sportsmans Axe - Laminated Leather Handle, Silver - 1 Piece Residential Use, Standard Application, Size: 4 in
$51.90
Walmart
Free
Estwing Hatchet: 12 1/2 in Overall Lg, 1 3/4 in Cutting Edge Lg, 35 oz Head Wt, Steel, Steel Model: E3-CA
$58.86
Grainger Industrial Supply
By 10/14
Estwing Camper's Axe
$61.25
Bayou Field & Outdoors
ESTWING Hatchet, 13 " L, Steel, Blue, E3-2H
$45.45
Zoro
By 10/15
Vintage circa 1990's Estwing no. 24a Sportsman hatchet, stacked leather handle, excellent condition with clean leather cover
$75
Etsy
Used
Sale
Japanese Hand Axe, 13 inches
$62$89
Garrett Wade
Free 90-day returns
Vintage // Estwing Hatchet Axe USA Made Leather Handle Camp Axe w/ Sheath Tool
$58
Etsy
Used
Estwing Sportsman's Axe with Sheath - 3.25"
$49.99
Bass Pro Shops
Estwing Sportsman's Axes, 3 1/4 in Cut, Steel Handle (1 EA / EA)
$61.03
Factory Supply Outlet
Free by 10/17
Estwing Camper's Axe with Nylon Sheath
$59.99
Bass Pro Shops
Estwing Sportsman's Axe Special Edition
$65.50
Bayou Field & Outdoors
By 10/15
Estwing 10 In. L. Leather Grip Handle Sportsman's Camper Axe
$48.99
True Value
By 10/15
EstWing E45A 26" Forged Steel Camper Axe with Shealth and Shock Reduction Grip
$51.99
Hand Tool Outlet
Free
Estwing Long Handle Camper's Axe E45A
$50
ASC Scientific
30-day returns
Estwing E14A 12" Sportsmans Axe With Leather Grip
$39
Way Source
Estwing Axe Steel Handle 18.75 in.
$54.94
MROSupreme.com
1st order: $52.19

 

No comments: