Thursday, August 1, 2013

The Exhausted Fox

Since Traveling since July 16th now this is the second hard time of getting exhausted from staying too many different places in too short a time while traveling. I think it was last Saturday or Sunday now we put the four girls mostly 17 with one 16 on a plane back to the SF Bay Area from Seattle. Then we visited a friend of my wife's from college and her husband. She is running for office in the local elections of her suburb. She wanted us to see her new property on Orcas Island so we went there with her. But, my wife realized she was bringing a brown lab and a black lab and decided to rent a nice view room there instead of staying in a cabin with two large dogs. (Her dogs are wilder and less trained than ours) because she used to Dog Sled with her dogs in Alaska when her husband was a district attorney up there years ago now.

We talked of going to Alaska and having her show us around and she said wintertime might be better if we wanted to dog sled. I said, "We need to do this while I'm still alive!" (On one level this is silly because I know with modern technology I might be alive for hundreds or thousands of years). On the other hand I might die tomorrow with life being the way it is. So, I learned years ago to be prepared for death every moment. I've noticed this attitude literally scares the shit out of most people because you are completely fearless all or most of the time and this shows in the way you carry yourself. Some call this the "Stance of the Warrior".

But today, I just got tired from getting up at 6 am after not getting to sleep until 12 or 1 and waking up several times during the night and then getting on a ferry to Friday Harbor and then getting a ticket to Sidney on the Ferry so we could drive to Victoria. So, when we got here I was to 'falling down sleepy'. Then because it was noon we couldn't check into our room yet so we sleepwalked over to the Museum and Imax to watch about an hour Imax on how they built the railroad across the Canadian Rockies which was pretty interesting. It just made me want to take the train across this route like I have the Berkeley, California to Denver route on the Zephyr a year ago last October I believe in 2011 with my wife and a friend.

I got into the room and was too exhausted after that even to go to sleep because I wasn't interested in hallucinating from being too exhausted so long like one does when it is too hot and you take a nap and you have really weird dreams and wake up with a headache and confused. So, I didn't want that.

Anyway, my wife was getting concerned because I was starting to act strange from exhaustion. So, I began to tease her by joking with her. I said, "I've become an exhausted fox" which was better than a drowned rat like she intimated. But either way we both started to laugh and she realized everything was okay. We were just more tired than it was good for us to be. One of the best ways to keep going when things get strange is to make a joke about everything. However, in order to do this you have to be with someone who is comfortable being with themselves and you. Since my wife and I are best friends and have each other's back we can joke about things almost anytime. Sometimes even in the middle of an argument which can be really tricky but quite fun if it works.

No comments: