Sunday, December 15, 2013

The Ghost of Christmas Past

I walked into the living room this morning and saw my wife and teenage daughter were watching "Polar Express" which aligns a lot with how Christmas was in the 1950s and early 1960s a lot Since my wife was born in 1955 I know she could relate to this movie. I felt the "Ghost of Christmas past" too and said that I thought we were all feeling it. She looked at me and said, 'Where would any of us be without our past?"

This was a pretty profound statement I realized. So, even though one often feels (after ages 15 or 20 especially) the pain of loss of all those we loved who have passed on that we used to see at least at Christmas even if no other time of the year, "Where would any of us be without the past we knew and all the people who enriched our lives with their wisdom and knowledge and amazing experiences?"

No comments: