Monday, September 1, 2014

It's Fairly quiet today in Whistler

I'm looking outside at Mountain bike riders coming down the ski slopes and there are only about 1/4 as many today because most people have to drive, fly, or ferry home to other parts of Canada, or the lower 48 states or wherever they came from around the world to go back to work or school or whatever.

I had thought about renting an ATV but I'm thinking now that that would have been better to do yesterday and then I could have got into the hot tub and recover. However, now that I think about it I really don't have to drive forever and completely wear myself out until all my muscles in my back hurt like a younger person might. And it's true I do have time to recover if I do it now and not just wait until the end of the day.


 I finally decided to go ATV riding. They are automatic 4 wheel drives so if you can use a Thumb throttle and know how to brake a motorcycle with the right (front brake and left rear brake) you can probably do this. You have to lean in the direction of the turn when you are on a side slope on a bank or rocks though.  They take you up quite a ways on a 2 hour tour. First they acquaint people not used to ATVs. We had a great time and the guy running the group of ATV riders was about 18 to 20 years old and runs Snowmobiles in the winter time. It was a fun experience. Because it had been raining some the dust wasn't too bad either. He said if it hasn't been raining lately you need to wear a face mask to filter the air. You wear (today a raincoat) which mostly kept the dust off me.

Similar to all the mountain bikers to ride up the ski slopes to ride down on mountain bikes we rode on trailes that were dirt and rocks and sometimes on roads that were dirt, with rocks or even paved roads. On the way down we rode by the 2010 Luge run at the Olympics here in Whistler and also we saw where skiers train on a jump into a swimming pool so they aren't injured and don't die when learning new skiing flips and tricks.

There are also Whistler Helicopter tours of nearby glaciers, there is a Whistler by Rail trip you can take from Vancouver here to Whistler. There is an Aboriginal Museum here that we didn't have time for but we had intended to do this too. (Maybe next time)(It's quite a place and sort of reminds me of places like Mammoth Mountain or June Mountain in California or Squaw Valley at Lake Tahoe. (I've skied several times there at Squaw valley and I like it a lot especially up on top where the big Gondola goes too.

Also, while you are in Vancouver the Aquarium with Beluga whales, Otters and penguins is really fun too. I really like the Vancouver Aquarium. Also, if you are in Seattle the Seattle Zoo is pretty cool too.

No comments: