Thursday, January 1, 2015

Supplements to extend quality of life for men over 50

Note: There is a Centrum made for women that you could replace number 1 with if you are a woman. And you won't need Prostate Supplement or DIM either if you are a woman. However, everything else here might be helpful to you.

These are some of the supplements I have found in my own life to extend the quality of my life on a daily basis over the years. I'm presently in my late 60s.

1. Centrum Silver Multivitamin for men over 50
This has been found in studies to increase lifespans by up to 9 years just by taking this one multivitamin.

2. NatureMade Balanced B-100 Complex (timed release)
This allows my cousin to continue to work (which he likes) after 70 years of age (He is presently 72). He says if he takes one of these in the morning he doesn't fade out around 2 pm in the after noon and can last until the end of the day by taking one of these each day. Everyone I have met over 40 or 50 says the same thing who takes them, including me.

3. Trader Joe's sublingual B-12s 1000 mcg. and 100 tablets (very small plastic bottle)
These go under the tongue and enter the bloodstream there instead of through the stomach. This bypasses the stomach which for many people over 50 cannot process B-12 or any b vitamins after age 50 or so worldwide. This not getting enough B-12 cause among other things Senile dementia and possibly Alzheimers too. So, if you are 50 or older you need to be either getting B-12 shots or taking under the tongue sublinguals to prevent dementia setting in in some people.

4. DHA by Nordic Naturals from purified Fish Oil (supports Memory, learning and mood)
90 softgells 500 mg. each.
This is a highly purified form of fish oil which has filtered out mercury and other harmful chemicals in most fish these days. So, you get all the benefits from fish oil like clean arteries and veins (not clogged) which can prevent heart attacks and strokes. However, your diet is important to in staying alive. You can't expect these to do all the work for you. But, they are going to help a lot in your quality of life if you take one of these each day. I used to take 2 a day but found it upset my stomach to much so I went back to 1. Possibly you could take one in the morning and one at night and that might work. I might try that too.

5. NOW Prostate Support 90 softgells (Saw Palmetto, Stinging Nettle and Lycopene). This supports prostate health and because of that also prevents prostate cancer in men. It also supports your sex life because a prostate controls erections among other things. So, for example, in myself I still have a healthy sex life in my late 60s partly because I use this product and partly because I eat good organic food and exercise and travel to keep my body and mind alert and happy.

6. Bioresponse DIM 150 Microencapsulated for proven absorption. This product my doctor uses and found this is the only product of it's kind that he trusts. He and I use it now for increasing urinary flow. Over 50 or 60 being able to urinate whenever you want to can sometimes become a problem. So, to lessen this problem I take 2 of these every morning with my other vitamin supplements for better results.

7. COQ10 by Whole Foods with Vitamin E and Lecithin 200gm.  60 tablets
This is an antioxident that supports a healthy heart and also supports staying as young and vital as possible at every age.

8. D-Ribose Jarrow formula 90 tablets dietary supplement Berry flavor.
These are sort of like eating a chewable vitamin or candy. What they do is they support Muscle recovery (including your heart muscle) and the best time to take these chewables is before or after exercising as it is a sugar that builds or rebuilds muscles specifically.
A friend of mine who is a Masseuse told me about them when he found I had had a heart problem coming back from Maui, Hawaii during an ongoing Solar Flare hitting Earth around 2012 in the fall. So, he wanted me to regain my heart health as soon as possible so I began taking them with good results ever since along with my above vitamin regimen.

9. If you don't live in too dry a place docusate sodium stool softener might be useful to you as well. they usually come in around 100 softgells in a bottle and one in the morning can help make your bowel movements more of a happy experience because your stool is softened so there is less danger of constipation or bleeding over 50 or 60 years of age.

10. Pearls Elite (delivers 5 billion probiotics) for digestive support, colon care and overall health. These I take at least one a day of these to help keep my immune system in tip top shape.

For example, probiotics are the opposite of anti-biotics that you take to kill infections. Probiotics you take to help your immune system rebuild after having to take anti-biotics so you don't feel weak for months after taking an anti-biotic.

So, Pro biotics help to not get colds, flues or infections by keeping your immune system strong all the time. This way your taking anti-biotics is going to be moved to a minimum over the years which also helps life on earth because anti-biotics are a problem for the long term survival of life on earth at this point for a variety of reasons.

11. 5-HTP Neurotransmitter support 100mg. Natural source Supports positive mood.
I keep these on hand and only take these one day to 5 days a year when I feel myself slipping towards clinical depression when someone I love  or care about dies or a 9-11 event happens that upsets everyone. I only do this one in emergencies to keep the chemical balance in my brain from slipping into a state where it starts to go into an unbalanced state by too many fear based chemicals being produced by the brain at one time.

I don't take these every day because it is a little like coffee. If you drink it every day then you have to drink it to work or stay awake. So, I only drink coffee when I need it to drive when I'm sleepy or need to stay awake or something like that so it is available to me when I need it.

In other words if you take 5-HTP every day then you are going to have to take it to be normal or the way you want to be. But then, you have nothing for emergencies.

It is a way to stay "emotionally balanced" through any calamity.

Another thing you can take when going through some type of crisis or death or divorce or something like that is B-Complex Stress Tabs. Here is one I used when going through a divorce in 1994:

12. Solaray Mega B-Stress Fast acting first stage Timed release Second Stage.
This type of vitamin helps replace B-Complex which is quickly burned up by the brain during stressful times. It also has a calming effect because of other herbs usually added too. 

I chose to do this instead of taking Prosac or other mood altering drug. I had seen what mood altering drugs do to emotionally disturbed teenagers (male and female) that I had been counseling. And this class of drug often creates the suicide that it is supposed to prevent by putting the patient into such a disassociative state so disconnected from who they are that they just kill themselves in the confusion.

I didn't want to be another victim of mood altering drugs so I chose to take Solaray Mega B Stress Tabs instead.

No comments: