Africa
Deadly Siege Ends After Assault on Hotel in Mali
DAKAR,
Senegal — Heavily armed gunmen shouting “Allahu akbar” stormed a
Radisson Blu Hotel early Friday in Bamako, the capital of the West
African nation of Mali, seizing scores of hostages and leaving bodies strewed across the building.
The
gunmen barreled past the hotel’s light security, using fake diplomatic
license plates to confuse guards, and then burst into the lobby with
their guns blazing.
“They
started firing everywhere,” said a receptionist at the hotel who spoke
on the condition of anonymity for fear of reprisals. “They were
shouting, ‘Allahu akbar,’ ” meaning God is great. “They cut someone’s
throat, a white man.”
“I hid in my office,” he said. “I saw four of them, armed to the teeth.”
By late afternoon, the siege appeared to be over, and no more hostages were being held, said Col. Salif Traoré, Mali’s minister of interior security.
United Nations
officials said that at least 19 people had been killed, as well as two
or three attackers, with bodies found lying in the basement and on the
hotel floors. They noted that security forces were still sweeping the
building in search of bodies and evidence that would shed more light on
the assault.
Guests Rescued From Mali Hotel
Footage from inside the Radisson Blu
hotel in Bamako, Mali, shows security forces evacuating guests as
attackers held others hostage.
By VOA AFRIQUE on Publish Date November 20, 2015.
Photo by Habibou Kouyate/Agence France-Presse — Getty Images.
Watch in Times Video »
An
American development worker, Anita Ashok Datar of Takoma Park, Md., was
killed, as was at least one Belgian citizen. The nationalities of the
other victims were not immediately clear.
The
gunmen took “about 100 hostages,” said Gen. Didier Dacko of the Malian
Army, before soldiers sealed the perimeter and stormed inside, “looking
for the terrorists.”
From
early on, dozens of guests, including women, children and older people,
streamed out of the hotel after hiding in their rooms, many of them
crying and barely clothed.
The
attack unfolded with 125 guests and 13 employees inside, according to
the operators of the hotel. The visitors had come from far and wide,
including Europe, India, China, Turkey and Algeria. They included
diplomats, businesspeople, pilots and flight attendants.
Join the Debate
Share Your Thoughts
The recent terrorist attacks have reignited a
debate on the balance between civil liberties and national security. We
would like to hear from you.
Read and Comment
President
Obama condemned the assault from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, calling it
“another awful reminder that the scourge of terrorism threatens many of
our nations.”
The siege in Mali,
a former French colony, occurred only a week after terrorists with
assault rifles and suicide vests killed 130 people in attacks across
Paris.
It
was not immediately clear who was responsible for the attack in Mali.
Al Jazeera reported that it had received a recording asserting that a
local militant group, Al Mourabitoun, had carried out the assault in
conjunction with Al Qaeda’s regional affiliate, though the claim could
not be independently confirmed.
France’s defense minister told French television that Mokhtar Belmokhtar, a longtime Qaeda member who claimed responsibility for the 2013 siege of an Algerian gas plant
in which dozens of hostages were killed, was “likely behind” the attack
in Mali, but he acknowledged that “we are not completely certain of
it.”
Mr.
Belmokhtar has long been a shadowy figure among extremists. Since June,
he has been reported killed at least twice, but American officials
concede that he is probably still at large.
Mali
has long struggled with insurrection and Islamist extremism, including
smaller-scale attacks on a restaurant and another hotel this year.
“We
don’t want to scare our people, but we have already said that Mali will
have to get used to situations like this,” President Ibrahim Boubacar
Keita of Mali, who was visiting Chad, told France 24. He added, “No one,
nowhere, is safe, given the danger of terrorism.”
Northern
Mali fell under the control of rebels and Islamist militants in 2012. A
French-led offensive ousted them in 2013, but remnants of the militant
groups have staged a number of attacks on United Nations peacekeepers and Malian forces. Hundreds of French soldiers remain in the country.
In Mali, Freed Hotel Hostages Speak
People who escaped the Radisson Blu
hotel in Bamako, Mali, which was taken by gunmen, want the authorities
to do more to protect them.
By REUTERS on Publish Date November 20, 2015.
Watch in Times Video »
A
peace accord was signed in June between the government and several
rebel factions. But the truce has been broken several times, growing
lawlessness has driven civilians from the north of the country, and the
United Nations peacekeeping mission in Mali is proving to be one of the
deadliest in the world. So far 40 peacekeepers have been killed.
United
Nations officials said they were worried that the attacks could have
been intended, at least in part, to undermine the halting steps toward
peace. Some of the people at the hotel were diplomats in town for a
meeting to monitor those efforts. In a statement Friday, Secretary
General Ban Ki-moon’s office said he “deplores any attempt to derail”
the peace process.
The Radisson Blu Hotel is a popular place for foreigners to stay in Bamako, a city with about two million people.
Twelve
to 15 Americans were believed to be at the hotel when the gunmen
arrived, an American Defense Department official said. About 20 Indian
citizens were there but were evacuated safely, the Indian ambassador to
Mali said.
ALGERIA
200 miles
Bamako
MALI
MAURITANIA
Radisson Blu Hotel
NIGER
RN5
Bamako
BURKINA FASO
GUINEA
Niger River
IVORY COAST
Germany’s Foreign Ministry said that two Germans were among the hostages who had been released.
Six
Belgians were registered in the hotel, according to a Foreign Ministry
spokesman in that country. At least one of them, a 39-year-old Belgian
working for the Wallonia-Brussels regional Parliament, died during the
attack. He was in Mali for a conference aimed at training Malian civil
servants. Another Belgian remained missing, the ministry said.
A
diplomat at the Chinese Embassy in Bamako said eight Chinese
businesspeople had been trapped in the hotel. Embassy officials at the
scene were in touch with some of the Chinese hostages by WeChat, a
Chinese messaging service, the diplomat said.
Kassim
Traoré, a Malian journalist who was in a building about 160 feet from
the Radisson, said the attackers had told hostages to recite a
declaration of Muslim faith as a way of separating Muslims from
non-Muslims. Those who could recite the declaration, the Shahada, were
allowed to leave the hotel. The Shabab, a Qaeda affiliate in East
Africa, used a similar approach in the attack at the Westgate Mall in
Nairobi, Kenya, in 2013.
Clément
René, 57, a French citizen, came out onto the balcony of his
fifth-floor room after he heard repeated gunshots around 7 a.m. One of
the attackers, bearing an AK-47, was running into the hotel, shooting
back at the hotel security forces.
As
shooting intensified, Mr. René fled back into his room, turned off the
lights, put his phone on silent mode and waited. “The sound kept coming
up as if it was moving from floor to floor,” he said. “The sound of
guns, explosions and what seemed to be a grenade.”
He
felt as if he was in the middle of the crossfire. “I then sent hundreds
of text messages, to my family, my wife and two daughters,” Mr. René
said.
He
was finally freed from his room by Malian soldiers who stormed the
corridor of his floor. In the lobby, he passed a body with a tarp thrown
over it.
French Officials React to Attack in Mali
François Hollande, the French
president, and Laurent Fabius, the foreign minister, condemned the
attackers in Mali and said France would provide all necessary support.
Publish Date November 20, 2015.
Photo by Pool photo by Michel Euler.
Watch in Times Video »
“All
I could see were his shoes sticking out,” Mr. René said. “Big black
ranger boots, which made me think it might be one of the terrorists.”
The glass lobby doors had been shattered.
Kamissoko
Lassine, the hotel’s chief pastry chef, said two armed men arrived at
the hotel around 7 a.m. “They were driving a vehicle with diplomatic
plates,” he said. “You know how easy that is at the hotel? The guards
just lifted the barrier.”
“They
opened fire and wounded the guard at the front,” Mr. Lassine said.
“They took the hotel hostage and moved people into a big hall.”
A
member of the United Nations peacekeeping force in Mali said there were
many French people in the hotel, including Air France staff members.
The airline later said in a statement that 12 of its crew members had
been at the hotel and were freed.
Get the Morning Briefing by Email
What you need to know to start your day, delivered to your inbox. Monday – Friday.
Five
Turkish Airlines crew members, including pilots and flight attendants,
were also freed, while two remained inside the hotel, a Turkish
government official said.
Mali
has been crippled by instability since January 2012, when rebels and
Qaeda-linked militants — armed with the remnants of the arsenal of the
Libyan leader Col. Muammar el-Qaddafi — began advancing through the
country’s vast desert in the north and capturing towns.
A
coup, stirred in part by anger over the government’s handling of the
insurrection, ousted Mali’s elected government in March 2012. Amid the
chaos, Islamist rebels consolidated their hold on the northern part of
the country, imposing a harsh version of Islamic law.
In
January 2013, the Islamist forces began advancing south from their
northern stronghold, heading in the direction of Mali’s capital. France
sent in troops to stop them. A brief military campaign halted the
Islamist advance, recaptured cities and towns like Timbuktu that had
been under the militants’ control, and chased the remaining Islamist
fighters into the desert.
But
then, with no warning, other militants linked to Al Qaeda stormed a
vast gas production facility in the desert of neighboring Algeria,
taking dozens of expatriate workers hostage. Thirty-eight were killed
during the siege of the gas plant.
With
hundreds of French troops still in Mali and the country highly reliant
on donors, elections in 2013 restored a democratic government. But its
hold on the north remains weak.
There
are frequent attacks by Islamist fighters, in particular on United
Nations troops, in the northern provinces. In August United Nations
workers were killed in an assault on a hotel in central Mali. Five
months before, militants killed five at a restaurant in Bamako.
In the assault in August, jihadists stormed a hotel in Sévaré, north of the capital, where United Nations staff members were staying, seizing hostages and killing at least five Malian soldiers and a United Nations contractor.
No comments:
Post a Comment