Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Bullying has always existed

It's just much different now than when I was in public school in the 1950s.

I was lucky then because I was usually a head taller than most people in my classes at school. What this meant in real time is that if someone hit me my age I could hit them harder than they could hit me so they stopped doing that because it was counter productive. However, if guys were 2 or 3 or more years older I was often in trouble. But, there was only one time when I actually loaded my rifle to go shoot someone older who had held a knife to my throat and cut me some so I bled into my shirt collar. But, even then a friend talked me out of this on the phone and I unloaded my rifle deciding to let someone else kill them (which I believed at the time was likely to happen). Whether it did or not I cannot truly say.

Many children didn't survive psychologically or even physically especially junior high or High School when I was growing up. I was just lucky to be tall and strong and white which gave me a better chance at survival than many others. But, I saw a lot of blood and some of my own growing up until I got into college and all the failures or nut cases who did this sort of thing as bullies either became drug dealers or police or something like that and in college it was a whole different game because basically none of the worst physical bullies were still there in life unless you want to consider the people you might have to work for in your jobs this category of Bullies.

There is a funny movie called "Horrible Bosses" which reminds me of the grown up bullies one sometimes encounters as an adult. This is why I begin starting my own businesses by the time I was 28. Even by age 21 I was tired of people financially "taking advantage of me" since I started working part time at age 10 with a paper route in Glendale California.

In some ways becoming an entrepreneur was a way to avoid dealing with anymore bullies even in business. I'm aware of that. I could then choose who I would do business with and who I wouldn't. This was real freedom that I finally found.

Horrible Bosses (2011) - IMDb

www.imdb.com/title/tt1499658/
Rating: 6.9/10 - ‎371,915 votes
Comedy · Three friends conspire to murder their awful bosses when they realize they are standing in the way of their happiness.

Horrible Bosses - Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horrible_Bosses
Horrible Bosses is a 2011 American black comedy film directed by Seth Gordon, written by Michael Markowitz, John Francis Daley and Jonathan Goldstein, ...
Plot · ‎Cast · ‎Production · ‎Release

begin quote from:

"Pattern" of school district ignoring child's bullying before suicide, mom ...

www.cbsnews.com/news/mallory-grossman-suicide-diane-grossman-lawsuit/
5 hours ago - Diane Grossman decribed her 12-year-old daughter as "an average American little girl" who was bullied.

Girl's Family to Sue School District for Suicide - News JS

www.newsjs.com/.../pattern-of-school-district-ignoring-childs-bullying-before-suicide...
Family of NJ girl sues district over suicide Family of 12 Family of cyber Family of ... CBS News"Pattern" of school district ignoring child's bullying before suicide, ...

"Pattern" of school district ignoring child's bullying before suicide, mom ...

worldbignews.com/pattern-of-school-district-ignoring-childs-bullying-before-suicide-...
3 hours ago - ROSELAND, New Jersey — In New Jersey, the parents of a 12-year-old girl who killed herself claim she was bullied online for months and the ...
 

"Pattern" of school district ignoring child's bullying before suicide, mom says

ROSELAND, New Jersey -- In New Jersey, the parents of a 12-year-old girl who killed herself claim she was bullied online for months and the school district did nothing to stop it. Now, they plan to sue.
"She's just your average American little girl -- she's what you hope your children will grow up to be, that's who Mallory is," said Diane Grossman, whose 12-year-old daughter, Mallory, killed herself in June.
Six weeks after her daughter's suicide, Grossman made it clear who she held responsible for her daughters death -- the school.
"There was a pattern, a regular history pattern of who the school district dismissing my concerns," Grossman said.
Mallory, a gymnast and a cheerleader, killed herself one week before finishing sixth grade after months and months of allegedly relentless bullying.
dahler-teen-suicide-2017-8-1.jpg
Mallory Grossman, 12, committed suicide in June after what her parents say was constant bullying. 
CBS News
Grossman said her daughter was bullied in person, in texts and on Snapchat and Instagram by classmates at Copeland Middle School. She characterized the messages as nasty and mean.
"In the beginning, it was just teasing, it was name-calling, it was exclusion was an important part. 'You can't sit here ... you're not welcome at this table,'" Grossman said.
Grossman said she tried to talk with other kids' parents, but her concerns were dismissed. She also complained to administrators at the middle school about the alleged cyberbullying hours before her daughter died.
In New Jersey alone, 11 cases have been filed against school districts for bullying. Ten of them settled over the last eight years, according to Public Justice.
She hopes "to set accountability" with this lawsuit. "So maybe teachers and administrators will think twice before sweep things under the rug."
Grossman said officials still have not filed any harassment, intimidation or bullying reports, known as HIB reports, with the state over any of the incidents in which her daughter was bullied.
The school declined to comment on what is still an ongoing investigation.  But they said their own self-assessment of bullying "has met and exceeded expectations."
 

No comments: