Friday, June 15, 2018

I find myself sort of vexed in some ways with "Big Little Lies" on HBO

Rich people aren't always flawed as they are depicted in "Big Little Lies", they are a cross section of people not unlike middle class and poor people. There are crazy ones, okay ones, neurotic ones, etc. etc. etc.

So, trying to classify rich people into any one mold is stupid and not useful.

I know I used to be guilty of this myself until I had to start meeting a lot of wealthy people worth up to 100 million dollars or more starting in the 1990s. So, I had to shed my prejudice against rich people growing up lower middle class and middle Class Blue collar. But then again my father was also valedictorian of his High School so my father was exceptional in every way imaginable because of this. But, I still had a prejudice against rich people because I didn't know many of them growing up except for a few in my church.

So, I'm vexed by "Big Little Lies" because of the weaknesses of the characters that these women play, Reese Witherspoon plays (way too angry and a fighter for justice).  Nicole Kidman (too into violent sex and puts up with too much from her abusive husband). And Laura Dern (way too controlling and high maintenance and angry from being just too much of an over achiever to survive it usefully).

So, you have these UBER Moms struggling for sanity and rationality in their lives and maybe not finding it in their late 30s or early 40s and Madelline (Reese Witherspoon) with a teenage daughter.

Then underneath it all you get the sense from what is in the background that someone has died but you just don't know who because you see witnesses being questioned and trying to find the murderer.

So, you are being set up from the beginning of this series. But, for me, it isn't entirely believable because I have met enough wealthy people to see through this kind of presentation. But, most people might not have this background that I have.

So, in some ways watching this is a guilty pleasure so I give it up then I watch a little more then I give it up then I watch a little more because there are just so many elements it is like playing a game of chess trying to figure out what is going to happen next?

Note: The best way to watch this is on HBO GO I find. So, if you have HBO on your cable you can then get HBO Go on your computer or laptop. So, everywhere I had wifi I was watching Netflix series and movies and HBO series and movies and Amazon Prime series and movies. But you have to have a subscription to Netflix, HBO, and to Amazon Prime to do this. Also, you can likely get any of these things also through Xfinity if you are a Comcast cable subscriber too on your computer anywhere you go in the U.S.  As long as your Comcast tv cable gets it you can also get it on your computer through Xfinity which is usually connected to comcast.net where your email is too. You sign into this through your email and your password to watch these programs.

Or if you don't have any of these things likely if you subscribe to either HULU or Amazon Prime you might be able to get it too. But, at amazon prime it might cost some to see it. I'm not sure about Hulu because I haven't subscribed to that yet.

However, my adopted daughter and husband love HULU because you can watch almost anything on TV completely commercial free (which means no commercials you have to fast forward through at all) with your DVR.

No comments: