Sunday, September 23, 2018

An Adventure is "A Difficult situation well met"

Adventures allow us to adapt to new and different and sometimes difficult situations. After you are retired without adventures, you usually just die soon. So, adventures are important to stimulate your capacity for adaptation. This is why people who live a long time often travel the world to stimulate their capacity for adaptation which is fun if you are that sort of person that likes adventures like I do and my wife do.

But, you sort of need an adventurous spirit for this to work too. The way I do it is I always say to myself, "I will know or figure out the answer to any question or problem I face." This way I'm always  open to an answer. For example, I hadn't slept enough last night and I opened the window in my oldest daughter's bedroom that she is letting us use (because she has a Cal Queen Bed that fits my wife and I that is nice in her large bedroom in Portland). So, it saves us about 200 dollars a day in staying at my daughters rather than renting a hotel room while we are here which is nice. But, my older daughter is arriving tomorrow and I didn't sleep that well last night but my wife decided to wash the sheets before my daughter arrives. Then I was here getting cold because I didn't have sheets on the bed to lay down wondering how I was going to stay warm because she was going to wash the coverlet and the sheets? I said to myself, "I will figure out an answer to this problem soon" even though I was tired and decided to take a short nap from lack of sleep. So, the solution presented itself when my wife said, "Here is the comforter. I took off the cover and I got the sheets too." So, here my wife provided the solution.

Whereas my wife can't navigate very well in Portland if she drives by herself. But, I have spent a lot more time here and have figured out routes everywhere I drive now from being up here about a month in the Spring and early summer when I had health problems and my wife and two daughters had to go to Ireland, Scotland and England without me because I couldn't survive the trip then. So, I stayed at my daughters' house and stayed on the fold out couch in the living room then and let my son help nurse me back to help because he is a trained nurse and also lives in Portland. So, having an adventurous spirit is very helpful when you are retired because it makes life interesting enough to continue staying alive and having fun having adventures ongoing.

My youngest daughter is totally depending upon GPS with her phone. But I grew up with paper maps and thinking in that way instead. So, I ONLY use GPS when I can't figure out how to get somewhere without it. I have a very very good sense of direction (especially in Washington, Oregon and California) here on the west coast. But, if you put me on the East Coast or in Asia my sense of direction is way off because the magnetic bones in my nose don't know what do to with the changes.

But, if I'm in Washington, Oregon or California I always know which direction is North, South, East and West since I was trained to navigate by landmarks whether on trails or in cities growing up in the wild west of California, and Washington Mostly during the 1950s which also harkened then back to the early 1900s and 1800s then more than now with GPS and computers.

Even some bacteria even contain strands of magnetite that function, according to Charles Walcott of the Cornell Laboratory of Ornithology in Ithaca, New York, ... In the case, when it comes to humans, magnetite makes the ethmoid bone sensitive to the earth's magnetic field and helps one's sense of direction.Nov 21, 2006

The tiny magnetite compass in the human nose | Anthropology.net

https://anthropology.net/2006/11/21/the-tiny-magnetite-compass-in-the-human-nose/

Web results

Magnetic bones in human sinuses. - NCBI

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6823284
by RR Baker - ‎1983 - ‎Cited by 125 - ‎Related articles
Magnetic bones in human sinuses. Baker RR, Mather JG, Kennaugh JH. Studies on the interaction of magnetic fields and biological organisms have centred on ...

Do humans have a compass in their nose? • The Register

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/11/17/the_odd_body_nose_compass/
Nov 17, 2006 - Some years ago scientists at CALTECH (California Institute of Technology in Pasadena) discovered that humans possess a tiny, shiny crystal of magnetite in the ethmoid bone, located betweenyour eyes, just behind the nose. ... But scientists are not sure how they do this.

No comments: