Saturday, October 27, 2018

Peace

Peace in a nation means you are not at war. Because of Trump this cannot be said of the U.S. The U.S. is presently at war with itself and countries are destroying us as a result in many ways now.

Peace for an individual is a different thing. I found that I could find peace (tinged often with boredom) during summers reading books and riding my bike from about age 5 for miles and miles.

In High school and college I seldom felt at peace unless I was in the wilderness or surfing or skiing or with friends or a girlfriend somewhere out in nature. It was even harder to feel at peace ever in my 20s so often I contemplated suicide until I was 26 when my son was born to my wife.

Then I found peace gazing at my new born son and even if life was hard making a living I found peace around my baby and then toddler son as he grew up.

I found peace in my 30s because I moved to Mt. Shasta where I could ski with my 2nd wife and kids on cross country skis a lot and in the summers take long hikes with them and swim in mountain lakes like Castle lake and hike throughout the wilderness there.

Peace was much harder to find in my 40s because of a bad divorce. But, when I remarried peace started slowly to return to me.

But, the longest series of peace in my life has been since I almost died and was forced to retire at age 50. There has been more peace in my life than any other time.

Peace is no longer a problem for me. The last 20 years have been somewhat peaceful traveling around the country and the world and visiting places and my children as they grew up.

I still have peace now but health is more of an issue. But, in some ways there is even peace in that if I take the right attitude. My attitude is: "I could die tomorrow or 100,000 or 1 million years from now or later and either way it's just fine.

Peace is a state of mind.

It's how you see yourself and your world.

If you want peace you have to create it for yourself.

It's different than the peace of your country.

You have much more control of your own peace and life than you do of the country you live in.

So, even if there is a war raging around you, you can still be at peace if you know who you really are.

By God's Grace

No comments: