Wednesday, October 31, 2018

Here's the thing about Tesla's "Autopilot"

You aren't supposed to be reading a book or "watching Harry Potter" like the man who went under a semi truck turning in front of him on Autopilot who was cut in two a few years ago now.

Autopilot is a lot like "Cruise Control" which controls the speed on your car. I myself use cruise control like a hand throttle a lot of the time so I don't have to touch the pedals of the car. However, my wife doesn't like to ever use it but my older daughter (who is very coordinated like me uses it all the time) like I do. But, when was the last time you used cruise control and read a book or watched Harry Potter?

If you did this you would be dead and that's all.

The same is true of Autopilot. If you use Autopilot on a Tesla it is like an advanced form of Cruise Control. It is not exactly a self driving car yet. Autopilot is for people who want to let the car drive while they supervise sort of like Cruise Control. If you don't understand this then you too will slam into the back of a parked car at 80 mph too.

In some ways I guess this is "Natural Selection" because you shouldn't be using these technologies unless you fully understand what they can and cannot do. If you don't understand these things properly you are going to be dying using them.

No comments: