Friday, February 19, 2021

burning wood in a wood Stove

 Though cedar and pine can heat your home they burn up pretty fast. If you want something to coal all night you want something like Oak or a 2nd choice Manzinita burls. Another problem with pine is that it is very pitchy and this can create Flew Fires if you burn too much pine and it goes up your chimney. I had an old house I was renting with my family in 1980 and so we installed a Wood Stove that the pipe only went up a few feet into the Chimney because we didn't think we needed it too. 

However, one day I came home about dark from skiing on mt. Shasta and found a fire engine in my driveway. They told me what was wrong was a flew fire which I had never seen or known about really before other than hearing remotely about them. I climbed up on the roof with my tire chains which they said they needed to put out the fire and to knock down the pine pitch off the inside of my chimney. So, I dropped about 10 to 20 feet of tire chains down my chimney and started banging and dragging it around to knock down the pine pitch now I knew about this problem.

So, the point here is that though pine starts easily it can eventually (if you burn too much of it) start a flew fire in your chimney. There is also what they call Piss fir which is stuff like Douglas or White Fir which smells a lot like pee when you burn it. Then there is Cedar which burns even faster than Pine but usually without the problems that pine can give you through flew fires in your chimneys. But, like I said before for over night heating of your home you want Oak or Manzinita burls to coal all night to keep your homes warm in winter weather especially when snow is outside.

No comments: