Friday, February 19, 2021

Writing can be very healing not only for you the writer but also for others as well

I first discovered a part of this when I was going to Palomar College in the early 1970s and joined Operation Share which was a volunteer tutorial program for kids by college students like myself then. I found I could share my knowledge and it also helped me feel better about myself and the positive effects I could have on people around me. I think this is one of the many things in my life that helped me eventually become a blogger in June of 1999 as well. I also went through Suicide Prevention training through the college that time so I could better help college and (and older and younger people) to not commit suicide. I think this might be even before I wanted to study to become a psychologist because my parents had never gone beyond high school and my father technical school to become an electrician and eventually an electrical contractor.

I never became a psychologist simply because my girlfriend eventually got pregnant and we got married and raised my son instead. But, all this also led to many other good things in my life like starting blogging in 1999 when I was forced to retire because of having a heart virus where I almost died for 9 months. My doctor told me if I hadn't retired I would have died for sure during this time. And after it was all over my wife insisted I stayed retired. Luckily, I don't have a workaholic personality but I do like to be busy doing something so this is why having a blog helped me to stay sane through retirement along with skiing and visiting mt. Shasta and going to Hawaii to snorkel with my friends and wife and family as well and traveling to Europe and stuff like this.

So, up until coronavirus I have been successfully retired. But, even for me this last year has been a bit much for anyone to feel normal during or after.

IF you want to retire:

First make sure you are not a workaholic because often workaholics when they retire might die of being an alcoholic. Why?

Because they are  used to "'having" to do a pattern of things every day. So, they drink to fill the void and a few years later they are gone.

So, don't retire unless you have the right kind of personality for it.

However, if you can keep busy without drinking yourself to death that's a start regarding retirement.

I'm the kind of person who is never bored because I'm infinitely creative. Like for example, even this past year it is easier for me to do than almost dying from 2018 and 2019 and even until my pacemaker was installed in June 2020 my doctor told me a few months later didn't think that I was going to survive until my pacemaker was put in. However now, I might live to 90 or 100 because of my new pacemaker just like many people I have know or known of along the way in my family and circle of friends worldwide. 

Anyway, the point I'm trying to make here is don't retire unless you have the type of personality that can survive it.

For example, you could buy a store or something to run even if you only break even for something to do and to meet new people. Many people do something like this.

However, during Covid I don't usually miss talking to people. I miss just being around ANY people at all. That's what I miss the most. Being able to say "Hi" to people as I pass by likely I miss the most from before. People are afraid now to say anything to each other now even if they are wearing a mask which is really crazy while still being a human being. This is my point of view.

The only real people I talk to every day is my wife unless one of my kids or friends call me so life is really different than before for me and most other people on earth now.

Will this ever change? Unknown. But, likely it will change to something else but no one is really sure of what exactly yet.

No comments: