Sunday, May 23, 2021

In 1960 JFK was elected president: Nixon didn't get in until 1968 as president even though he was vice president under Eisenhower

 I was 12 in 1960 and it was the youngest president anyone had seen likely this whole century or ever at that point. He served as president from  Presidential termJanuary 20, 1961 – November 22, 1963. He was assassinated on November 22nd in Texas in Dallas then. I had turned 15 in Spring of 1963 and so when he was assassinated I was likely just getting my learner's permit to drive a car (even though I had been driving pretty regularly with my father long distances out to the desert from Glendale and back a lot because I was already 6 feet tall by 1963 and could pass for an adult completely by that age. I started driving some times for my father on country roads when I was 12 or 13. By then I was 5 foot 8 and also at that height could pass for an adult too.

I remember being in gym class and hearing a rumor about the President of Mexico being assassinated but by the time I got to my English High School Class (Mrs. Barr's class) the girls in my class were all crying as well as some of the boys even though they were trying to hide it because that's how we were then. Boys couldn't cry in public, we had to appear strong to comfort the girls then. So, we would do things like bite our lips to make them bleed so we would feel enough pain so we wouldn't cry in bad situations. We had to act strong for the girls even if we died. This is how we all were taught to be to stay strong even if we all died in an emergency or something protecting the girls and women. I was taught to be this way by 4 years old in 1952. This goes back hundreds and possibly thousands of years of how boys were taught to be then. But, it mostly isn't that way most places now so things got screwed up after the Viet Nam war in many ways.



No comments: