Monday, January 29, 2024

It's hard to watch your kids grow up and leave

 My house cleaner who has a janitorial business and is around 60 years old has all his children living in the same area that he lives in and I guess I'm a little envious of that.

My father's family and myself and members of my Dad's family and my children are all travelers and explorers might be the best word always looking for greener pastures and new and wonderful sights. So, one of my children lives in Europe for now and one lives in Texas and one lives in Portland. So none of my children are even in the State of California right now. We all talk a lot on the phone or text photos of what we are doing like my wife and I texting photos of our trip to Mt. Shasta for example but it isn't the same as seeing my kids and being able to easily give them a big hug. My older daughter and for awhile my younger daughter lived in our other home in Santa Barbara which was really nice because we could drive the 4 hours or more to go visit them whenever it was convenient for them and for us.

But now, all our kids are sort of scattered all over the world so to speak and at 75 I find this difficult. My wife is in her late 60s but at. 75 I wish one or more of our children lived closer to us at this point.

But life keeps changing ceaselessly and maybe one or more of our kids might eventually move back to California at least to be within 4 to 6 hours driving at least of where we now live. But, we do have our oldest adopted daughter and our grandson and her husband living in San Diego and that makes my wife and I happy even though San Diego is 6 to 8 hours by car from where we now live up near San Francisco.

No comments: