Saturday, March 30, 2024

Strange weather and a Tornado Warning with 1/2 inch Hail

I woke up about 1 am last night and realized I likely was going to be awake for awhile. So, I went into the Den and turned on the TV only to find the TV go blank with a Tornado Warning around 1:30AM. I felt obligated to wake up my wife and tell her of this tornado warning. They don't usually hit where we  are in Santa Barbara right now or even where we usually live closer to San Francisco on the coast. 

I remembered back to when my youngest daughter was visiting from Texas and we got a tornado warning and moved into one of our 3 bathrooms that doesn't have an outside window where flying glass shards would only hit the outside of the Bathroom door and we likely would be okay. Even then I wouldn't have done this except all our sliding glass doors banged in the heavy winds and then our flue banged really loud at the same time as this warning. So, my daughter brought blankets and pillows and got into the bath tub and I sat on the toilet with the lid down and we brought a wooden chair in for my wife to sit on and we closed the door.

However, when I woke my wife up about 1:30Am last night there were not the loud noises even though there was a lot of wind.

After I woke her up I did more research on my laptop computer online to try to nail down exactly where the tornado cells were right then. I found out that the tornado cells were between Carpenteria and Montecito and since my wife's father passed away who had a house in Montecito we were north of there in the hills so we were far enough away from there to be okay. So, as a result of sharing this with my wife she was just thinking about the safest places in the house to be away from windows. One of the 3 bathrooms here is in the center of the house that has no windows to the outside. But, it does have a skylight likely made of Plexiglass sort of the shape of a one piece pyramid. Then I realized the tub enclosure was all glass and was worried a little about this. But, after reading online of all the flooding and hail and tornado warnings I mostly realized that since we had the places we could flood sandbagged since the last series of storms when 10 1/2 inches of rain came down one night on San Marcos Pass and the Santa Barbara Airport closed town for 24 to 36 hours which trapped a lot of worldwide travelers in Santa Barbara for an extra 1 to 3 days because they rented out all the rental cars and traveling between the Santa Barbara Airport and the LAX Airport(Los Angeles International Airport) can be iffy for a variety of reasons if you don't have a rental car to get there with.

So, anyway, we are okay and now it's not rivers of rain off the roof all night like then. It's about noon and it's only lightly raining off and on. So, I hope that the worst of the storms and tornado warnings and 1/2 inch hail are behind us. (At least for now).

No comments: