Sunday, March 31, 2024

The Winds

 I often write about how it is the winds more than anything that the human race isn't prepared for in this century and the centuries to come. 

When I look into the future I see (unfortunately) a future in which flying in planes might no longer be practical. However, strangely enough rocketing straight out into space and then returning to earth like a space ship on some other portion of the planet might be feasible. 

However, landing at airports might not be feasible because of the changes in the winds and increasing wind shear. 

Especially place like the Hawaiian Islands there is a lot of wind shear landing especially at Kahului, Maui and at Lihue, Kauai with Kahului the most consistently difficult because of wind shear. The reason for this is likely the trade winds in combination with Haleakala because it is 10,000 feet high.

It's the same kind of problem when flying too close to Mt. Shasta. Many people in the past died on Mt. Shasta before people realized that Hang gliding down Mt. Shasta was often fatal because of the way the winds interact with Mt. Shasta.

For example, when I climbed Mt. Shasta in 1970 when I reached the summit the last 2000 feet in altitude the winds were gusting up to 100 mph. However, luckily it wasn't picking up the snow or ice and cutting my face that day so I was okay.

Another time I was climbing San Gorgonio Mountain which is near Palm Springs and Big Bear and it is around 11,000 plus feet tall. However, since I was climbing it in November or December of likely 1969 there was ice blowing on the summit and it was cutting my face because the winds were blowing in gusts over 100 mph. So, luckily I had a sheet of greenhouse plastic and wrapped it around my face so the ice wouldn't cut my face anymore. Finally, I gave up and used the plastic to slide down the face there back towards Big Bear and out to my car about 10 miles away then.

The point I'm trying to make here is that Wind shear is going to get worse and worse over time as the weather changes and becomes less and less predictable over the next several hundred years time.

So, winds that blow down trees and take away plants that people eat will likely be the hardest thing for people to get used to along with rising oceans that wash away coastal towns around the world.

I expect many more 300 to 500 mph winds during this century. Not every day but even one day of 300 to 500 mile per hour winds is going to blow down most all trees and take away the leaves of everything farmer's grow on the surface of the earth.

So, eventually the farmers likely will have to farm either underground or in especially reinforced Green houses to protect their plants and veggies from the ever increasing winds.

This is what I see coming for the earth not every day but even one day like this a year blows down all or most trees and all leaves off of plants people grow to eat too. This is what is coming this century or the next. I'm not sure the speed of these changes but they are coming nonetheless.

No comments: