Saturday, February 18, 2017

At one point 70,000 people were out of power including me

So, that was yesterday morning from 8 am. But by about 12:30pm the power was back on again. However, that was short lived because a tree went down on a power line and is just hanging there now 2 blocks from where I live. It is a very dangerous situation to fix even for workers trained to do this s they won't be cut in two by the full weight of a tree on power lines at 1000 volts, plus phone lines and cable lines and Wifi Cable lines coming into my area. So, at noon yesterday I went to Orchard Supply and bought a good sized generator that has wheels on it to more easily move it around from place to place. I realized even if it was raining and I sent the exhaust out my garage this is not the best idea because of Carbon Monoxide. Before I had my motor home here and I just plugged my refrigerator, wifi and TV and a lamp into the Onan generator in my motor home with a 100 foot extension cord. However, it is presently being repaired and we likely will sell it so it isn't here now and my wife and I have been talking about buying a free standing generator for some time that will live in our garage when we aren't using it a week or two a year. There were so many people without power that most of the hotels in the area pretty much filled up if they had power. Now they just called us with a robo call to tell us they are going to come "Look at it" by 3PM. However, having been an electrician I know just how hazardous this situation is for men to work on. It isn't the power because they can shut that off. It is the 500 pounds or more of weight on the lines if they snap and cut one of  the men in two or worse. So, I can see why they didn't just jump right on this one because it is dangerous.

I woke up at 3am and used my data on the phone and found out small planes were floating on the tarmac of Santa Barbara Airport and many freeways have closed in Los Angeles area with cars flooded out with no movement north or south.

Mud slides are a problem too. So, there is flooding, mudslides and devastation of one kind or other from Rain, flooding, flash flooding, mud slides etc. throughout the State of California at this point.
Most areas have now received 200% of normal which would be an average rainfall of the last 50 years or so. So, now we are all mostly at 200% or normal rainfall so it is flooding and ground is saturated everywhere with nowhere for it to go except move in some direction over the land.

No comments: