Friday, August 19, 2011

A difficult Day

I wrote the last few articles as a way to sort of cheer up people because of all the bad stock market news worldwide. It does look like the next couple of years might remind people of Stagflation in Japan or a minor version of the Great Depression. There likely won't be 25% unemployment nationwide or in Europe but unless we have 3% or more GDP growth we will continue to lose jobs. 3% is the minimum GDP growth to even retain jobs and to possibly increase them in any country. So this is good to know. I must tell you that some of the best years of my life were when the economy was the lousiest in my lifetime which was 1980 to 1984 or 5. I just bought inexpensive land at 4000 feet on the side of Mt.Shasta with my savings and saved about 60,000 in rent after I built myself and my family an A-Frame. We home schooled the kids using Oak Meadow School independent study and had a wilderness family experience completely off the grid without phones, TV, before internet, and with Aladdin Kerosene lamps and regular kerosene lamps and candles for light and a wood stove to warm us and an old clawfoot giant bathtub to bath in from water we heated on our wood stove and a wood cook stove and oven to bake bread and cakes with and to cook with. It was one of the best experiences of my life home schooling my kids in a house I built on land that I owned. And eventually when unemployment went below 10% nationwide by 1984 and 1985 we went to the California Coast and bought a business and put our kids back in public school on the northern California coast when the oldest was 12.

Now one of the kids is a Fire Captain, one is a nurse and one is a lawyer and all have college degrees. They all see living a wilderness experience as children made them all self starters always. No one ever needs to tell them what to do, they always think for themselves and all are very creative in their lives.

No comments: