Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Whey Protein Might be bad for you

 http://www.healthylivingindia.org/2009/04/whey-protein-supplements-are-bad-for.html

When my wife and I visited our nutritionist in an effort to lose some weight she gave us Whey protein to start out the day in powder form where you put 1 or 2 plastic scoops in about 8 ounces of milk and along with one piece of toast with peanut butter, this is your ongoing breakfast. So we have been doing this for about 2 or three months now. What I immediately noticed since I work out with weights, walk my dogs, ride a bicycle outside along country roads and along the beach was that this whey protein really develops your muscles fast and makes one feel very "clear of mind" throughout the day by starting the day this way.  However, over time I started researching Whey protein and found that it puts incredible strain on your kidneys and that if you have a normal diet you already get enough protein which makes it not necessary to put your kidneys under this much stress and strain.

The last few weeks I found I was developing a problem between my right two knuckles that looked a lot like the beginnings of arthritis there or sever tendinitis in one place. As the weeks went on the constant pain built until I was ready to do almost anything to make this problem go away. However, then I noticed when I stopped having a Whey protein shake in the morning or anytime during the day the pain and the inflammation started to go away. Now after about one week of no whey protein 100% of the pain of either inflammation due to tendinitis or arthritis is now gone.

However, it is remotely possible that other factors are involved here as in a summer with overcast weather for several months on the northern California coast which is always depressing for me even though it is what makes everything so green and lets pine trees and redwood trees grow here and wild ferns in the canyons. Or it could have something to do with the fact that I couldn't take my wife and daughter on vacation this summer because of the upcoming wedding of my god daughter that just happened last weekend and so this also might have had something to do with the pain going away as well. However, if I just trace outward causes like diet alone, the single change is stopping using Whey protein completely in order to eliminate any arthritis or tendinitis in my right hand at all.

Months Later: My nutritionist and I together realized I was allergic to Whey Protein. So, it might work for most people it couldn't for me because I was having an allergic reaction to it. So, as soon as I switched to Soy Protein in place of Whey protein I was fine. However, all the other members of my family start the day usually with Whey protein which will lessen food cravings the rest of the day.

2 comments:

arlene said...

Hey... whey protein powder is one of the best supplement for your diet.I never heard of bad impact of whey protein.I think there should be others factors affected to your bad health situations.

Unknown said...

is Whey Proteins benificial for body building ???