Friday, July 27, 2012

More on Juicing

Raw organic Vegan juicing recipes

This morning I was trying to remember my son's what my wife calls "Beet Power" recipe for juicing. However, I had to go look in my blog article above "Raw organic Vegan Juicing recipes" to actually remember all the ingredients because I couldn't find the piece of paper that I originally wrote all these down on. I also have Joe Cross' book and DVD but I find it is more convenient to have a single piece of computer typed paper with the recipes somewhere near the kitchen phone or corkboard for messages nearby. So, I just printed out the above article I wrote so I can put a pin through it on my corkboard and just hope my wife doesn't take it down again without telling me. So, the one I"m looking for is:

Beet Power  which is:

1/2 beet

1 whole lemon including peel

1 slice of organic pineapple fresh

1 large handfull of organic spinach

3 leaves of kale

5 carrots

2 apples

1 small handful of organic mint

 

Also, last night my daughter just bought a Breville juicer like the one I bought through amazon.com and had it shipped to her front door in Oregon. She was saying, "I don't think kale juices very well. It seems like I'm losing most of it." My response was, "Well. Why don't you put it in a blender with water and blend it up along with the ginger and then add it to your juice after you make it?" I'm going to try that myself today using reverse osmosis water or bottled water today to see how that idea actually works in real time.

Also, part of the fun of being on this diet is experimenting with what you like or don't like. For example, yesterday I bought a young coconut that is partially husked so I could drink coconut milk and then scoop out the jello like substance of a pre-hardened state coconut inside and eat it. (At some Thai Restaurants locally they serve this jello like coconut stuff in one of their coconut drinks that I really like.) I used one of  the saws from my Leatherman knife to open the husk and then I used a screwdriver by hitting it with a hammer to break the nut wall so I could gain entry through the remaining husk and hard casing. However, unless you are good with saws and tools I wouldn't recommend it. Because even I was little worried I was going to slip with the Leatherman knife saw and cut myself while sawing off the remaining husk. But puncturing into the shell is pretty easy with a screwdriver and hammer.

Later: I tried liquifying kale leaves in a little water. However, I'm not sure this would be practical to do for most people because in order to do this properly one has to turn the blender on, stop it, then push the leaves down into the blender more then stop it and repeat this movement several times. And I'm not sure everyone would be safe doing this depending upon their hand eye co-ordination because you don't want to have your hand in the blender when you accidentally turn it on. Also, some people might use a fork, spoon, a piece of plastic or wood to push the kale down while the blender is on and this isn't really safe either. 

Also, I realized that adding water to the kale waters down the end drink of juices and makes the end user need to drink more water than they might want to and also it waters down the juices taste for those who like the live food tastes. 

So, my thought it is if you decide to blend your kale first juice your juice and then put it in the blender and blend in your kale. This way no extra water needs to be added and then you get all the valuable nutrients of the kale without losing any at all to the juicer throwing most of it immediately into the pulp bin.

However, then I tried to actually drink the stuff and the little pieces of kale that reminded me of a lot of little tea leaves sort of put me off. So, I found myself straining the whole drink of the kale leaves. So, in the end I'm not sure how helpful this exercise was other than an experiment in efficiency. In the end if you can't drink the stuff because of what you have created maybe the original way was the best way after all.

 

 

No comments: