Monday, June 29, 2015

1998

I've been retired now since 1998
This was sort of a surprise at the time because
I fully expected to work until I died

But, I was fortunate to be able to retire and to travel when I wanted to
But, what punctuates my retirement the most is the deaths and near deaths
of my mother, my aunts, and my friends and my wife's father.

These are the hardest parts of retirement to deal with
Because you have all this time to fill with ideas
and dreams and visiting friends and relatives
and visiting new places both physically and psychologically

But, over all I have felt more peace and less struggle
since I've been retired
But, you have to be your own best friend
and if you are with a significant other
they have to be your best friend

In order to want to retire in the first place

But, if your ducks are all in a row
Being retired might be the happiest most peaceful
time in your lives

No comments: