Friday, June 26, 2015

Traveling Home: 106 degrees Fahenheit while traveling home

It's not like it was during the 1950s before most people had air conditioners that actually worked without boiling over the car. (This was before green antifreeze when we used just water in the radiators then).

So, if you drove then through over 100 degrees you just had a headache or you sort of passed out, especially if you were a child then. But, if I complained while traveling through Arizona or New Mexico in the hotter parts of the year I was given a wash cloth (rag) or a sponge and a little water, (or if I was really really lucky they would give me my own squirt bottle of water so I could stick my head out the window until my whole face got chapped from water too quickly evaporating from your face over and over again. (Also, no seat belts then either) so sticking your head out of the window as a child was just as common as you see dogs doing that now (with similar results) (a lot of very happy children most of the time.)

But, today I'm in my Tundra 4 wheel drive truck and I have great air conditioning and green antifreeze (but I don't have my Mom or Dad). Somehow I would prefer my parents to air conditioning and green antifreeze (but that's just me). So, because of all this unless I get out to get gas or visit someone 106 degrees is bearable because I have air conditioning that likely would work fine until the temperature outside got to be about 130 degrees Fahrenheit or so with today's technology.

Many people this summer likely will have to test their vehicles in temperatures close to this this year. Hopefully not to many people die from it.

What I found interesting was how fast it went from 106 degrees to 86 degrees as I got closer to the coast until I reached where I live where it was about 64 degrees and halfway sunny and the rest high clouds and high fog and it was still green where I live but inland it is sort of a desert with no rain, almost dry reservoirs of water everywhere and 100 plus heat. (Also, the heat is only going to evaporate a lot of the water we do have also).

No comments: