Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Don't want to get Diabetes? Here's what you have to do diet wise.

First you should check with your doctor if you need to do this. Because if you don't need to do this yet, then why not enjoy being on a more full diet?

For example, one of the many things for me that I found disheartening was that a Gluten free diet, especially gluten free pasta, is a real sugar maker even more than regular wheat pasta. I had an experience of this recently when I made a little rice pasta and felt lightheaded from it after being on a carb free diet a couple of weeks. I was pretty distressed at my body's reaction to Gluten Free Rice Pasta.

But also, runners often eat pasta who are long distance runners to carboload before a race of 10 or more miles the previous day.

So, here are the basics, no carbohydrates which means no bread, no potatoes no rice no pasta no pizza (not even gluten free pizza), no orange juice (or any fruit juice at all) except STrawberries and Blueberries are okay because they do you much more good than harm. So, for example, if you make a protein drink you can put some strawberries and blueberries into it in the morning.

However, think about what you are eliminating.

So, vegetables, meats, nuts remain in your diet and milk remains in your diet and cheese, and yoghurt (unsweetened of course) (unless it is with fresh strawberries and blueberries.

I had a hard time on this diet because I was raised a vegetarian. So, to get enough protein without getting constipated I find to be a real problem for me. For example, I like almonds and cashews which are definitely a good source or proteing, but then you also need to watch salt usually too. I especially do because I have to watch out of edema and salt causes extreme water retention in most people.

So, now I start the day with either scrambled eggs with cheese or a protein drink that tastes mostly like vitamins made with milk and protein powder.

What do I miss the most?

Sourdough bread. So, if I'm being bad after being really good for several weeks and staying on this diet I have a grilled cheese sandwich made with Sourdough bread which is heavenly for me.

My doctor says that all carbs basically turn to sugar before they hit your throat from the saliva in your mouth.

He also says people only have been eating carbs for about 5000 to 15,000 years since we have been farming and at first it was sort of like an energy drink for them because carbs give a person energy (or fat) if you don't move around quick and do something with that energy.

So, the point is losing weight (and hopefully not muscle on this diet) so you don't get diabetes and shorten your life by 10 to 40 years or more.

Most fat is caused by your body storing the carbohydrates your body doesn't use immediately (within a few days). When we first were farmers we didn't eat right and probably had  trouble staying warm. So, Carbs helped with both these things likely and were useful to people without central heating systems in their well built homes. But now, Carbs make us fat and give us Diabetes along with High Fructose Corn Syrup and all the sugar we eat that is in literally most products we buy in supermarkets.

So, to keep from getting diabetes we can't eat all this stuff unless we want eventually to get our feet cut off from diabetes or something like that.

So, go to your doctor and have a blood test to see if you need to be doing this too before you get diabetes.

No comments: