Sunday, June 24, 2018

Yosemite: No Wifi for 3 days but a bear walked by my cabin 1/2 hour ago

So, I walked over to the Ahwahnee which is called the Majestic now near the main dining area where I could actually get wifi if I waited 5 or 10 minutes for it to load.

It has been an amazing three or 4 days starting with the sunrise at Glacier point on June 21st that we (my wife and older daughter and I shared with about 20 other people there at Glacier Point. Then we went up to Tuolumne meadows where we chose a new trail and found Soda Springs discovered by white men about 1872 and they built a little cabin around part of it so animals couldn't get to it then but the cabin is still there but the door and roof have long since been blown off in snowstorms and such since then. Then after a beautiful day in Tuolumne Meadows we drove near the exit (or entrance) into the Park from the Tioga Pass Entrance and I found the first tree I have ever seen that  was hit by lighting and looked sort of like a barber pole the way it blows off the bark in a spiral. But, what was amazing is this tree lived which was remarkable in itself. Most people likely not having stood next to a tree hit by lightning wouldn't have known the cause of this like I did.

Yesterday we walked about 100 feet or so to the river and went wading while many people floated by on floats down the Merced River that runs through the Yosemite Valley. My daughter went swimming like many people swimming and floating in the river also. And this morning I opened the sash to the window and saw what looked at first like a big dog with very thick legs walking next to the river. But, my daughter ran up hearing this with young eyes and said, "That's a Bear!" and then my wife got up so all three of us saw the bear.

I'm not someone to freak out seeing a bear in Yosemite because I have seen one many times over the years. But, realizing people are here from all over the world my wife had me call the reception desk to tell them a bear was in the vicinity so people don't bother or harass the bear without realizing it and get themselves into trouble being in "HIS TERRITORY". Yosemite doesn't really belong to the people after all it belongs to the animals, fish and birds that live here year around. We are only the caretakers trying to make this place stay wild for hundreds or thousands of years if possible. So future generations can experience wild bears and deer and elks too.














No comments: