Thursday, April 22, 2021

Believe in Something even if it is only yourself

 Why?

I'm 73 so I have seen a whole lot of people self destruct either directly or indirectly during my life and the one thing these situations have in common is that if that person believed in themselves or in something greater than themselves that gave them comfort they survived these things in their lives. If not, they were crazy or gone, one or both.

Life isn't easy for anyone. It might be easy for a time but then things change. In my own life on one level my life growing up was easy because my parents were ministers and didn't smoke or drink and so they didn't beat me up a lot like most kids were beaten and tortured in the 1950s then. So, I had great parents in this sense and I had a wonderful grandmother who knew about raising kids because she had been raising first all her brothers and sisters who were younger than her and then her own 3 daughters since the mid 1890s. So, my parents and my grandmother who lived with us were very rational and grounded people in their beliefs. 

But, even with good parents and a grandparent watching me, an only child, still life wasn't perfect because I had had whooping cough because my parents didn't believe in any vaccinations. Then I got a concussion from falling while rock climbing with my Dad in the 1950s at Chilao in the Angeles National Forest above Los Angeles and this caused me to have night time seizures from ages 10 to 15. This put the fear of God in me which is all I really had at the time to survive this intact as a human being on earth.

So, life is never perfect and we have to find ways to survive whatever happens in our lives or we are soon gone.

This is just the way it is. So, having something you believe in is necessary the first time you face something serious (like the Coronavirus era) where schools and businesses close and people are left emotionally and often financially adrift which reminds me a lot of World War II just before I was born.

There is a saying: "When the Going Gets Tough the Tough get going".

But, why are they tough? They are usually tough because they believe in something.

When times get tough if you believe in nothing, nothing is exactly what you have and then you are often gone.

So, find something to believe in even if it is only yourself if you want to live a full and good life.

No comments: