Sunday, April 25, 2021

The Sea Gull Flying in the snow

 You might not expect to see this in Mt. Shasta but it's true sea gulls often come inland. But, even for me seeing a sea gull flying while the snow is coming down is sort of an oddity for me here in California. I just saw this from my hotel room veranda.

However, when I climbed MT. Shasta in 1970 to the summit I was at about 12,000 feet to 13,000 feet and I found a sea gull that couldn't fly because there wasn't enough air to fly at that altitude. But, it wasn't steep there I was on a large shelf of land at this point with a cliff so I chased the sea gull off the cliff and watched him fall until he could get enough wind under his wings and he glided away wondering why he couldn't fly before. So, I figured I had done my good deed for the day saving that sea gulls life at around 12,000 feet of altitude on Mt. Shasta.

No comments: