Thursday, May 26, 2022

Where I live on the California coast beach sand has been blowing off and on onshore for about 2 months now

 There are places on a freeway near us where beach sand sometimes blows across the freeways and automatic sweepers have to come and clear those areas on the freeway or cars hitting this could skid off the road or into other cars or even be thrown off the road if they hit it wrong at too high a speed. Another problem is if the wind is blowing really hard above 20 to 30 miles per hour off the ocean the sand can blast your windshield or paint job and pit either your windshield or paint job. When I lived in the Yucca Valley area when I was a working partner at my father's and uncles mining company then I had to be careful where I drove or even where I parked my car or truck because of sand pitting the windshield or harming the paint. 

Once when I was 6 years old I went with my father and his friends from work to Death Valley and we got caught in a horrendous sand storm and it removed all the paint from the car I was riding in and pitted the windshield and windows of the car so bad they had to have all the windows replaced and the car was sanded down to the bare metal then in 1954 and the car was a brand new 1954 Chevrolet I believe then. The other problem was you couldn't really see to drive at all. All you could see out the windows was sand blowing even at night. We finally found a canyon where we could get out of the car without the wind and sand taking off our skin on our face and bodies and making us bleed like sandpaper would. If you were out alone without a tent or jacket to put over your head to protect your skin and eyes I'm not sure how you would survive it. Also, it was better to breathe through your t-Shirt so you didn't get small sand particles in your lungs in a sand storm.

No comments: