Friday, February 17, 2023

Peer Counseling

 My wife and I went through training to become Peer Counselors in the early 2000s. It isn't as expensive as seeing a therapist and can help you a lot in your life. 

The biggest thing that Peer counseling taught me personally was not to project my traumas upon my wife or children. This at first is hard to learn for people.

The traumas in all our lives give each of us a form of PTSD maybe the best way to say this. So, when we recognize we are projecting our shit onto someone else we need to "Stop" and take responsibility for that and the same for our spouses and family.

In this way you preserve your family and friendships by learning not to project your traumas on members of your family or friends. 

This is one of the reasons why my wife and I have been married as of 2025 30 years already.

It's because we both learned not to project our traumas onto each other which destroys many relationships and marriages.

So, from my personal point of view, learning to not project your traumas (or fantasies) on other people prevents harm to both them and to you throughout your lives.

In other words you are showing respect and kindness and friendship by learning to do this in regard to all people in your life. It also will increase your respect for yourself as you do this too.


No comments: