Tuesday, February 21, 2023

Driving around Santa Barbara in the high winds today

I got out in my 4 wheel drive truck today and went shopping for food and drove along the ocean to get there. What I noticed was that many small and middle sized limbs were down and fronds from Palm Trees along roads so you had be very careful and watchful you didn't hit branches or palm fronds wherever you were driving here in Santa Barbara. I was surprised how hard the wind was blowing ahead of the storm. 

Then I was even more surprised to learn that during this storm the snow level is supposed to drop very low to 1000 feet over one of the nights which is amazing for this area because the last time Santa Barbara got snow I think it was the 1980s.

It could close the HIghway 101 just past San Luis Obispo heading north up that steep grade (or down if you are heading south) because most Southern Californians don't know how to drive in snow or ice (unless they are skiers or are from snowy parts of the country. So, I would recommend if it has rained or snowed to check to see if highway 101 is still open just in case, especially if you are driving north or south any time between 4 Am and 10 am in the morning after it rains or snows or ices. But, I'm thinking the ground is just to warm this far south for the ice to freeze on the road because the ground is too warm. 

However, it's important to realize that there are always exceptions to almost any assumption in life.

No comments: