Saturday, November 21, 2009

Canon Selphy CP780

When my family went to Paris, Nice and Monaco in October I took along 2- 8 gigabyte flash memory chips for my two cameras. I knew we could take several thousand digital pictures while there because I have a 13 year old daughter and a 20 year old daughter who would naturally hog the cameras and hopefully we would get about 100 to 500 really good pictures out of about 3000 pictures or so. And we did.

However, I also learned when I returned that my computer was NOT happy with three thousand digital pictures on board. After several days of computer problems with my Imac not liking this many pictures at once(PCs and Imacs seem to like no more than about 300 digital pictures at one time. So I was frustrated and bought an external hard drive. But since I didn't really know what I was doing I bought a 750 Gigabyte external hard drive that is the only one of this manufacturer specifically designed for backup. My son said I could have bought a 1.5 terrabyte or even 2.0 terrabyte external hard drive for what I paid for this one. Anyway, since he was a computer tech in his 20s(he's now 35) he told me how to ditch all the programming in the external hard drive and turn it into just another 750 gigabyte external hard drive. By this time several weeks of extreme frustration have passed and I still have no photo prints from France.

So then I realize I can print all my photos out on my several years old Hp Photosmart 375 that prints great 4 by 6 inch prints. Though it reads an almost blank 8 gig chip when I put one in with 1500 photos on board it (does not compute)(error) (error).
(error).

So, now the France photo thing has become a nightmare for us with 3000 photos plus my 20 year old daughter who lives with her boyfriend in Oregon wants the two chips sent to her so she can save and print them too. (By the way she got pretty frustrated with these same problems too when she got the chips).

However, today my wife (who is a real shopper) (I am ONLY an online shopper because I hate shopping in stores unless there IS no other choice.) Anyway, my wife brought home a Canon Selphy CP780. I hadn't heard of it before but she was told this was the best way to print home 4 by 6 inch prints now. So I immediately went online to see if she had made a good choice. I found it rated 4.5 out of 5 and that out of 18 reviews 10 had given it 5 stars. Then I read a review and the only complaint was a guy who was taking family photos and complained that sometimes if you filled your photos up completely it would cut part of the head off.

However, because I was in France the scenery was half the shot and the people were the other half of all the shots so when I started to print photos it was perfect for my needs. Now just to prepare you it is NOT a laser printer. It uses a cartridge that reminds me of a miniature fax cartridge. It first prints yellow, then red, then blue but the quality of the photos is actually superior to my other printer. Also, it is only about $77 dollars for one of these and at Amazon you could actually buy a used one for as little as 64+ dollars plus tax and shipping. I've so far printed about 25 to 50 photos and believe if I'm lucky I will get about 100 photos with the paper and cartridge kit she bought in addition to the printer. Though a cartridge comes with the printer it doesn't last very long so be sure to buy the paper and cartridge kit or kits to print all the photos you want.

However, you might find that if you burn a cd that you might also get a good deal at your local drug store on 4 by 6 prints. So if you aren't printing over 100 or more prints it might not be cost effective for you to do this. However, remember the photoprinter can print a lot of photos as long as you are careful with it and don't place it on food crumbs or dust because the photos while printing go in and out about 4 times before the photo is done and you don't want dust or crumbs to ruin your photos. Also, each group of blank photo paper has some words on it. If you place it in the cartridge with the words on top then remove the word paper everything is set right ready to print. Good luck!

No comments: