Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Do Our Votes Really count?

Do Our Votes Really count? Off hand I'd say 'No'. However, that might just be me being cynical. Then again with what I know about Computer voting machines I would have to say that if it doesn't give a good paper trail count as you are voting then for sure your vote doesn't count because any vote done on computers can be messed with at some stage. However, ballot boxes thrown in trash and rivers are found in every election so it might just be a matter of scale. However, I would say that if you are using computer voting machines I have about 0% faith in those being counted. it would be better to use an absentee ballot than ANY voting machine. However, even then one doesn't really know.

I think voting is sort of like going to church. It is important to believe that democracy might sometimes work just like we hope justice sometimes works even though I personally don't have any faith at all in our justice system. Still, I have to believe what we have here both in our so called democracy, our so called justice system and our so called rights do appear to work much better than other places I've been on earth. At least here I'm not worrying about dying and having everything stolen 24 hours a day where I live. However, I know that many of you even in the states don't feel safe when you go to sleep at night.

So do our votes really count? The answer is: maybe!

No comments: