Wednesday, March 12, 2008

My Mother

My Mother. My mother hasn't recognized me or known who I was for around 2 years. However, today, while she was watching a movie on a big screen tv at her resthome in her wheelchair I asked if she knew I was her son. She nodded "Yes" and touched her head to mine in recognizing that I was family and her son. I told her that I was praying for her every day and she seemed more peaceful after that since our family has our own way of praying for each other. I told her she had three grandchildren ages 33,19 and 12 and that she was 89 years old and that her mother had lived until 90. I didn't tell her that her two sisters had each passed away at 90 also because I thought that would be too much. However, as I left she seemed at peace once again the way she used to be before senile dementia robbed her first of her personality, then her memories, then her ability to walk and now finally her ability to talk to me. However, I knew she finally remembered me once again and that gave me peace, something I have not had in relation to my mother for around 2 years. As I walked outside the rest home I found myself breaking into tears and a terrible weight lifting off my shoulders of the last 2 years.

No comments: