Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Be a Generator of Kindness

When I first started dating my wife it was 16 years ago this month. I remember one of the things she said to me was, "You just needed someone to be kind to you."

Now this may seem like a little thing but for me her attitude of kindness towards me enabled me to be her friend for life. And this was something I really needed at the time because Kindness allowed me to be loyal to her and to mean it these last 16 years which has really been great for both of us.

I had always naturally been a very kind person. I realize that I was allowed to be kind partly because I was always very tall for my age and so because of my size all I usually needed to do growing up with kids my own age was to look serious and not back down and I was safe from almost anyone harming me. So, kindness from strength is very important. And so, my kindness from strength led to me being safe  in almost any situation and also to me protecting people who really weren't able to protect themselves. So, I was always getting people out of bad situations most of my life. Since both of my parents were lay ministers from the time I was 6 to 12 full time and part time ministers until I was in my 20s, saving people from bad situations or just from their own suicidal tendencies sort of came natural for me.

I started to study comparative religions and realized how the ideas in Ancient Greece through the philosophers and of Guatama Buddha and of Hinduism and Brahmanism and even before all that worldwide Shamanism had all been shaping human culture worldwide for thousands of years. I found that through my studies that human kindness, kindredness and the concept of the human family, compassion and later in Christianity the concept of forgiveness and Christian Brotherhood and for that matter all religions that practice kindness as a core belief all center around kindness and compassion universally all around the world.

So, as I realized that truth is a two edged sword that kills as often as it saves, I realized the single most important factor in human civilization is always kindness and compassion. Without this, civilization ends almost immediately. In fact it could be said that "Without kindness and compassion civilization doesn't exist anywhere."

So, since this is the truth all over earth then becoming a generator of kindness in the way that works for you in your culture or worldwide if you are a world traveler like me is a way to help make sure our worldwide civilizations continue on generating kindness and compassion for thousands and thousands of years to come on Earth and beyond.

No comments: