Monday, June 11, 2018

My yellow lab

He's gone now but he was an amazing dog. One of the first things I realized about him was that he didn't consider dogs that weren't labradors (yellow, brown, reddish or black) were actually dogs that he could relate to. So, basically he ignored them (especially if he was chasing a ball which was his favorite thing to do) (especially if it was a tennis ball). My corgi and my Long Haired German Shepard- Australian Shepard mix liked to fetch stick or balls, they didn't care which or even slightly hardened pieces of seaweed along the shore of the ocean where I live.

But, my Yellow lab was really different than any other dog I have been around or owned. He would literally worship me like I was a God or something. This devoted quality is one reason people like these dogs (if they bond with you). My dog only bonded this way with one person at a time and it usually was a male adult for him. And this time it was me starting when he was 8 years of age when we got him from a Yellow Labrador Rescue Group. At the time the group had about 6 or 8 rescue Yellow Labs but this specific one our older corgi (passed away 3 months ago) bonded with when he was 8. So, we tried him out at home here and she was okay with him. So, he became our new dog and a replacement for my 15 1/2 year old Australian Shepard- Long Hair German Shepard mix that had passed away about 6 months before.

We had learned the lesson that a dog with another dog companion works out better in a family. (even though if you are alone and it's just you and your dog you become a pack too). But when there is more than one person and a dog I think it's better for there to be two or more dogs that get along so at least they have another of their own species to relate to like family or their "pack".

No comments: