Sunday, September 9, 2018

In order to stay alive you need some sort of focus or discipline in your lives

For me, at age 50 I had a 2 1/2 year old daughter and a daughter 7 years older as well. So, when I was facing death basically I refused to die because I needed to stay alive for my two daughters as well as my son who was in his 20s by then.

So, I just refused to die and I didn't. It would have been very easy to let me die then and it was very hard to stay alive and face everything but I did. This became my focus of staying alive for my children and my wife. I wasn't really staying alive for myself because that isn't the way I usually think. My life has always been about others more than myself.

If it were just up to me likely I would have taken  my life between 21 and 25. But that is another story. But, having stayed alive for others I found happiness starting in my 30s. So, in my 30s I was home schooling my children and I built an a-Frame very remote on Mt. Shasta with my wife for 5 years. Having done that and living that dream it has somehow allowed me to raise my kids and get them all through college and into their own lives and futures one by one.

So, in my early 20s (I was 21 in 1969) I decided to become a Householder Yogi. I didn't know this was a thing (yoga wise) until I read about it in "Autobiography of Yogi" by Paramahanza Yogananda founder of SRF (Self Realization Fellowship). So, in becoming a father and husband this became my yoga for service to life and it kept me alive always from age 26 on.

So, you need some kind of discipline or focus to stay alive. Mine was my family and children specifically. And this worked ever since I was 26 to keep me alive and focused and starting or buying businesses to support my family from then on and then eventually getting them into college and helping them one by one starting careers.

No comments: