Thursday, September 20, 2018

Still in Portland

Got a call from friends walking over the Saddle to "Squaw Valley". This is the only name I remember for this wonderful trail from where the old Ski Bowl (up until the 1970s) was where people go for a view now of the surrounding area at the end of the paved road of Everitt Memorial highway on Mt. Shasta. They sent me text pictures of "Squaw Valley". This time last year I did the approximately 6 mile hike in and out of there. The springs are still running so far and it is mostly green even though at night because of the Alpine fall at that altitude it likely get pretty cold. I noticed when I was at Panther Meadows last Saturday that the high altitude  Heather is getting more yellowy from the cold nights now as it likely is getting into the 20s at night now (at night). Even in the summer temperatures in the 30s are pretty normal at 8000 feet.

It has been nice visiting two of our children and seeing my grandson and his mother too. We've had a pretty good time with our kids and family so far. Another Daughter is going to join us who is in California soon here in Portland so that will be nice too.

My friends in Mt. Shasta tell me that the Delta Fire is supposed to be completely under control within the next week or so and hopefully the smoke is less and less of a problem ongoing as well south of the Dunsmuir and Castle Crags area soon.

No comments: