Thursday, September 29, 2022

In college in the 1960s and 1970s dying from suicide by guns, cars and drugs was fairly likely especially in college in the 1960s nd 1970s

 It usually started with someone falling in love with someone and that not working out right. Either the person stayed with them and disappointed them in some way or they didn't work out and broke up. So, the likely scenario went something like this: "The person in love who lost (for whatever the reason) found a way to exit whether it was through the Viet Nam War as a soldier or drugs or cars crashing into each other or off of cliffs or whatever.

So, to some degree this new thought of the young to not marry and not live with anyone of either sex in conjugal (bliss?) I sort of understand especially after the disasters I witnessed not only in myself trying to stay alive through many difficult or partly difficult relationships but also watching people die around me right and left in college and after college until people were likely 25 or 30 and if people made it to 30 usually they had found some way that worked for them (married or unmarried or living together or something that worked for them even if they decided to give up romance and relationships together for one reason or another by age 30.

I'm a very adaptable person so I have been married three times with countless girlfriends before I married the first time. So, I was able to take what I learned and at least TRY to have a good relationship with the three wives I married along the way and to maintain my good relationships with all my biological children ongoing. I wasn't able to maintain good relationships with Step kids that much mostly because at one point or another they had to be loyal to their mother. So, this is often what happens along the way. So, even though I raised my step kids from ages 6 and 8 years old they are pretty much out of my life since somewhere in the 1990s. 

So, I guess what I'm saying to you is making an emotional investment in adopted or step kids is a very risky business at best. In other words your heart likely will be broken at some point along the way. It's sort of inevitable. So, you better be an emotionally strong person like I turned out to be. Because so far I made it to 74 years of age.

I was talking to a friend of mine today and I wanted him and I to rent a Bobcat which is a type of tractor with a front bucket or loader device that you can attach a jackhammer to also and he said he is turning 71 and thinks he needs to retire his scaffolding (because he just painted his whole house with a new coat of wood stain and it hadn't been done by him in 40 years) but likely his girlfriend of 10 years was ragging on him to stop this at 71 years of age so now he says by November he is giving up his scaffolding and cement tools and all that. I kind of understand because it's sort of like going up on the roof after 50 or 60. For example, I remember my Dad's best friend fell off his roof while doing something in his late 50s or early 60s and he was dead within a couple of years from his injuries falling off his roof.

I myself rescued a hummigbird that got trapped in our kitchen skylight myself within the last few years but I had to sneak up there on the roof when my wife wasn't looking with a ladder to do this or else my own wife would have literally gotten hysterical with me on the roof doing anything because she says I'm just too old to be up on the roof anymore and we should hire someone to do that for us at our present age (I'm 74 and she is 67) so I guess I understand her point of view that she doesn't want to either watch me die or take care of me after I fall off the roof at 74.

However, it should be known that I started out in life going up 30 to 40 foot high ladders starting at age 12 with my Dad who was an electrical Contractor.

I remember when I first started dating my present wife and she owned a house with a flat roof and water started coming out of one of her walls from a cloudburst of rain. So, I grabbed the ladder but my friend who is a teacher in Los Angeles tried to climb the ladder with leather bottomed shoes and fell off on his head and I worried about him. But, I knew shoes were a problem in the rain for slipperyness. So, I went up barefoot in shorts with a rubber hooded jacket on and cleared the roof drains before the roof collapsed under the weight of 1 foot of water. So, I just threw the oak leaves clogging the roof drains and watched about a 6 foot stream of water exit the roof from the drains built there. Luckily I was able to save the roof from collapsing. My girlfriend became my wife partly because I'm so handy to have around in these kinds of situations. I'm actually the best I am in a crisis. My father and grandfather were this way too.

By God's Grace


No comments: