Friday, September 23, 2022

Walking on the beach has been very healing here in Santa Barbara

 My wife and I have gone walking on the beach every day for around an hour at different times the last 3 days. It has been very healing for both of us because we aren't in as much pain as we are in the colder temperatures in the SF Bay Area along the coast. The Temperatures during the day have gone from about 75 to 85 degrees this week and we found setting the air conditioner to 73 very helpful indoors but free to go outdoors and look at the view from our back yard and going to the beach and my wife walks along the beach and I wear shorts and walk ankle deep or more in the surf which I find very healing. My parents and I mostly have lived within an hour of the beach whether that was Seattle in Lake Forest Park or whether that was San Diego in Vista and El Cajon or whether that was Tujunga or Glendale or later I lived in Venice, California for around 6 months when I was 21 for awhile when I worked as an electrician building an apartment complex near the beach there.

So, living near the beach has been something I have done all my life except when I went to a private school one year in my senior year in High School in Santa Fe, New Mexico. And even then I came home for Christmas and Easter I believe then too on the El Capitan Train that existed then with the tall dome cars in the mid 1960s. Santa Fe was great because of all of the snow we got there that year too and so I lived in temperatures a lot down to around 5 to 15 degrees at night and sometimes at sunrise and sunset too while the snow stayed a long time where I lived then nearby the school in Santa Fe, New Mexico at around 7100 feet altitude.

So, just walking in the presently warm waters of Santa Barbara reminds me of growing up in San Diego and Los Angeles County. My first car I bought myself from working part time after school at age 16 was a 1956 Blue and White Ford Station Wagon that I named my "Surf Wagon" because I carried well over 10 foot  long surf boards of myself and my friends to the beaches from where I went to high school then in 1964 to 1965 until around 1969 while I was in college with friends to surf and body surf and scuba dive and free dive (snorkeling) during those years of my life growing up. I turned 16 in 1964. I began dating a girl 21 when I was 16 mostly because I had a good car but this caused me to grow up faster than likely I should have during these years. But, going to a private school the last year of high school was very good for me and helped me get into the right frame of mind to go to college which was very good for me at the time.

No comments: